We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

Enniskillen, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

Hi

My sister and I are arriving in Liverpool for a long weekend on Friday - I'm flying from Belfast and sis is on the train from London; going to visit my beloved son who is a student at Hope Uni. I guess a lot of what we do for the weekend will be fluid as it depends how much time DS can spare to spend with his mother and aunty! We're staying at the Adagio apts and the only thing I have done is book the Panoramic 34 for lunch on Friday for sis's birthday; we had planned to do the hop on hop off bus not sure whether Sat or Sun. So we would like to see something of the culture of Liverpool if we could get to just one place where do you suggest that is - should we go on the Ferry? And also would like to listen to some live music one of the evenings - any good music pubs?

Also - taxi from the airport - is it straight forward enough to get them?

All suggestions gratefully received!

england
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

Hi, sure you will have a lovely time in Liverpool, there is likely to be plenty of taxi,s at airport on arrival. We also arrive on the Friday by train(5 of us) but only staying one night, as going to chester sat night. We have arranged a 3 hr Beatles tour by black cab, cost us 55 pounds for the five of us. We do that as soon as arrive, on the evening will be starting at the cavern, as they play live music( free in b4 8 pm), we then are thinking of alma de cuba( free entry all night), between 10.30 and 11.30 there is a petal shower. Then will finish the night at reflex( one pound in). On sat doin a free walking tour at 11 am with sandamans tours, lasts 3 hrs. Then looking for lunch somewhere b4 goin to chester.

Enniskillen, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

OMG you're so organised I had to read it 3 times to take everything in and then realised you're only staying one night very impressive!! That walking tour sounds great might have to put it on the agenda and also like the look of Alma de Cuba as well - Liverpool looks to be a fab city am really looking forward to it now!

Cheers

Anne

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

Agree with that wow, you have done your homework and great itinerary planned.

LittleMissSunshine all the museums are free and there are great museums, maritime museum, Liverpool Life museum both near the Pier Head/Liverpool one. The Liverpool Life museum has a booth in it where you can sing your heart out to Beatles songs played in there. Take the ferry across the Mersey but maybe prebook as there are very long queues.

Hope you love Liverpool, l couldn't live anywhere else.

Edited: 3:03 pm, November 27, 2013
Merseyside/England
Level Contributor
208 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

Hi, your taxi from JLA to Adaggio will cost approx £16 & the rank is just outside the terminal. Usually a Taxi Marshall on duty so just ask him if you are unsure which taxi or to confirm the price.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

"And also would like to listen to some live music one of the evenings - any good music pubs?"

You are probably best heading to the Cavern Club or Cavern Pub.

Listings are here:

http://www.cavernclub.org/whats-on

The Vines (Big House) on Lime Street opposite the Adelphi Hotel is another option. It's around the corner from Adagio apartments. They haven't got a website (that I can find) so check info on their Facebook page:

https:/…236929139665303

If you get really desperate there's McHales Irish American Bar further down Lime Street.

Merseyside/England
Level Contributor
208 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

Hi, Erics on Mathew St is good for live music. They have a wide variety of bands playing. To see whats on during your stay check: www.ericsliveliverpool.com

A suggestion for Sunday is Bistro Franc on Hanover St. They offer 2 courses & a bottle of wine EACH, for £15.95pp. Best value in the City & foods good too..

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
814 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

As Matt says, both Cavern venues are worthy of a mention for live music. Other venues on Mathew Street that offer live music are The Grapes and Flanagan's Apple. The latter is an Irish pub but there is a mix of music depending on which bands are on. John O'Connell is a stalwart of the local live music scene and plays O'Neill's every Friday and Saturday night. I notice he is also playing the Slaughterhouse this Friday at 6pm which is another venue that often has live music. The Liverpool around the corner heading down to the Pier Head is another suggestion. Other suggestions would be some of the other Irish pubs in town such as The Liffey, Pogue Mahone's, Shenanigans although I am not sure with the latter pair how often they have live music and when these days.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

I'd suggest getting off the tour bus at The Metropolitan cathedral ( catholic) - then when you've finished, walk the length of Hope Street to The Anglican cathedral ( you can go up to the top of the tower for great views)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

"Other suggestions would be some of the other Irish pubs in town such as The Liffey, Pogue Mahone's, Shenanigans"

The Liffey is around the corner from Adagio on Renshaw Street and is cheap and cheerful (I went there by accident once!) and has live music and karaoke most days, nights (and probably mornings!) of the week. It's a bit spit and saw dust though, like McHales on Lime Street.

Pogue Mahones at the top of Seel Street hasn't had live music for a long time. They just tend to show all the football games, hurling and Gaelic football. It's still a good craic though. They also claim to sell the best Guinness in Liverpool, but I wouldn't know as I don't like the black stuff - I prefer proper stout! ;-)

Not sure about Shenanigans. I've only been there a couple of times after work on a Friday and it's a bit of a hike if you don't know where you're going.

Smokey Mo's at the bottom of Mount Pleasant by the Adelphi is another option smokiemosliverpool.co.uk/events-mount-pleasa… (it appears to be karaoke more than anything though) and there's a few pubs next to it like Riley's and the Beehive that always seem to have some sort of singer or Karaoke on at the weekend. There's another Smokey Mo's (formely JR's Bar) on Elliot Street by Wetherspoons.

P.S. I'd avoid the Smokey Mo's on Mathew Street.

Edited: 8:48 am, November 28, 2013
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving Friday for long weekend - couple of questions

Regarding the Mersey Ferry - if you do decide to go on the ferry then you will need to set aside 1.5 hours. The cruise takes about an hour, and you also need to get to and from Pier Head on foot.

It's well worth it and you get some great views of the famous Liverpool waterfront and skyline.

The full cruise costs £8.00 but if you want to save a bit of time and money then I always advise people to go to Liverpool Central Merseyrail station (which is right next to Adagio apartments), buy an All Area Saveaway ticket for £4.80 (adult) and get the train over (or under the river!) to Birkenhead Hamilton Square. Walk down to Woodside ferry terminal, show your All Area Saveaway ticket at the ticket office and ask for your "free" boarding pass. This can then be used on a single journey on the ferry across to Pier Head which takes about 20 minutes.

If you time it right you can be over to Birkenhead on the train and back to Liverpool on the ferry in 45 minutes, plus you've saved a bit of money, but you still get to see the wonderful Liverpool waterfront and skyline; and you'll also be able to sing along to "that" song when they play it on the ferry's speakers! ;-p

www.merseyferries.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Edited: 9:12 am, November 28, 2013