We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

Hi,

I'm an amateur photographer and will be in Liverpool this weekend. I'd like to get a nice ariel shot of Liverpool.

Where is best for ariel views of the city -Radio City tower, Anglician Church,Big Wheel, West Tower etc?

At the Anglician Church I presume there's no glass window to interfere with getting the photo and it's slightly away from the rest of the city so it might be a good location?

Thanks,

Patrick.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

Anglican Cathedral

Panaramic 34 restaurant

Get a window seat on the port side of the aircraft coming into Liverpool and starboard leaving

Depending on the approach / deparure you might fly over the river and get the chance of a shot or two it you have it covered in the above post.

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

The radio city tower/building used to do tours, this would be an ideal building for panoramic shots of Liverpool

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

Thanks, but as it's downtown would I be missing out on some of the views as I'd be 'in' the middle of it?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

I've been on the Echo Big Wheel and you get some great views from up there, but it's difficult to get decent photos because you are cocooned inside a pod.

I doubt you'd be able to wonder around the Panoramic restaurant at the top of West Tower taking photos. First of all you'd need to book a table, and secondly you would disturb the other customers.

I haven't been up the Radio City tower but the windows might interfere with your photos.

But I have been to the top of the Anglican Cathedral and the views are stunning, and there's no glass to get in your way.

It's the 3rd tallest building in Liverpool, after West Tower and the Radio City tower, but because it is higher above sea level it's a better location to get photos. Plus, it's a stunning building to visit without even going up the tower:

- largest cathedral in the UK

- the fifth-largest cathedral in the world (in terms of volume)

- the second longest cathedral in the world

- it has the largest pipe organ in the UK

- largest bell tower in the world

- the highest and heaviest ringing peal of bells in the world (which you walk past when you go up the tower)

Just make sure you go up the tower on a clear day !

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

top of Everton Brow panoramic views of all over the city and to north wales and snowdonian mountains on clear day

Edited: 10:26 am, January 15, 2013
Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
363 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

The anglican cathedral.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

Views from the Panoramic restaurant are better mainly because it is in the middle - the views of the docks, three graces and other buildings are better, as is the view of the river and estuary. It might be an idea to ring them to see if you can book a table for a drink (because people want to go up for the view, but don't always want to eat there, you need to book even if you just want a drink). I can't see them objecting to you taking pictures, as many people will do that - and I imagine that, if you are there in daylight hours/sunset, the restaurant won't be full of people eating.

But if glass is a problem, then the cathedral is probably best - but you'll have to work for it - lots of steps! And check when the steps to the tower are open - I think they do close them at certain times.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

If you do decide on the Panoramic bar you do need to book as stated above but tell them you want a table in the bar near the window and you can then just order a coffee or something. It is lovely up there and has the main shots you would require. My husband and l set each other a quiz when we've been up there and all just from our table in the bar

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

>"But if glass is a problem, then the cathedral is probably best - but you'll have to work for it - lots of steps! And check when the steps to the tower are open - I think they do close them at certain times."<

It's a combination of stairs and two lifts to get up the tower.

All info on the link below, plus some pics of the views you can expect to see from the top:

liverpoolcathedral.org.uk/about/the-tower.as…

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best location for ariel view of Liverpool?

Panoramic 34 is by far the best venue for overview of Liverpool. Can go in for just drinks/coffee and we have not had problem with taking photos (obviously being discreet around diners but loads do it!) Best thing to do is to get there mid afternoon - day view and stay there watching the night creep in - amazing!! The lights over Liverpool compare with anywhere - different buildings lit up in different ways/colours and the two cathedrals either end of the same road are something else! An absolute must for any photographer!x