We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair hand luggage

Spain
Level Contributor
278 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair hand luggage

Has anyone flew Ryanair recently? Do they weigh your hand luggage at the boarding gate or not? They didn't on the way in or on previous occassions at Liverpool but I thought I would ask.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

When they say last seat, they really mean last seat at that price, not literally the last seat on the aircraft, you could find it full or half full (though unlikely) but their computer systems alter pricing in accordance with how the seats are selling.

I find they tend to be strict if not pushed for time, if pushed then obviously they cannot, but how full the plane is does not mean they are pushed for time.

I have seen them weigh and size everything on flights that are packed, the ones where middle aged couples sit in the window and aisle seat in the hope no one will sit by them so they end up with three seats whilst mothers with children struggle in the aisle.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

In all my flights with Ryanair I havent experienced any middle aged couples sitting at window and aisle

seats, that age group tend to sit side by side but even if that were true its up to individuals to choose where they are most comfortable. There is the facility to book seats if everyone wants to sit together and yes it costs but its a budget airline and by booking in advance it can be very cheap when compared to other airlines.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

"Me think you do protest too much"

I regularly see this happening and when asked if the middle seats free they then sit together, I would love some 19 stone guy to insist on taking the vacant middle seat.

If you have you haven't seen this then Irish couples must have better manners or you are not looking for it, in my experience it happens most flights.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

We flew with them to Faro last week, absolutely stuffed on the way home with weekenders all with hand luggage, would say they all had been before judging by the reasonable size cases, none was checked or we would have been there all night. No room for anything in the overhead lockers as there were so many.

Good thing was our case arrived on the conveyor just as we got there as there was so little hold luggage, so out and away within minutes.

On the way there, anything that looked too big went in the measuring rack and all were weighed, definitely not worth the risk. Great flight, took off on time and arrived early both ways, no problems whatever except the chaos at Faro when 2 flights had the same gate.

As mentioned before, if you play by the rules - no problem.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

johnsayers, I'm not being contrary but honestly never twigged this going on, now I'm going to be more observant, my other half and I always sit window and middle seat and if we have to go to the loo we alternate the seats..however when I'm on my own I choose aisle and most times couples have ended up beside me.

As for Irish couples and there manners like every nation some have good manners and others diabolical!

There are some Ryanair staff at Dublin Airport who take their jobs very seriously..Gestapo and KGB all rolled into one, ground staff who go around with that cage thingy, they arrive quickly and pounce on bags they suspect are too fat, they humiliate a few folk and then disappear. I have always found the staff on board to be quite nice though and on very busy flights they are very patient with people and helping find places for the luggage.

My pet hate is people who just fling their bags up and never think of the angle of the bag, if placed correctly it means its easier for the next person to fit theirs in.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

I have to agree with john sayers..I have seen this on numerours occasions...

I am away this Saturday with Ryanair...and I am that 19stone man !!!!

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

Go For It ! Gazfec

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

I will..I would do it just to annoy people ..I have seen this so many time..One on the outside one by the window and the middle seat empty..And yes always the more mature people doing it !!!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

on my flights to and from Reus, I can conform that this isuue of 'seat hogging' is now spreading..

On the flight out I noticed a two couples in their mid 50's doing it, but they soon had to move over as the flight was full..

On the return, two lads in front of me in their mid 30's where doing it, and also a two couples in their mid 50's..!..but their plans where thawarted...the plane was again full on the return...

So beware...!

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Ryanair hand luggage

Just got back from Naples, have not travelled with Easyjet for a few years and have to say was a much better overall experience to Ryanair especially as seats now allocated which is the issue that causes so much stress and aggro on Ryanair flights, also puts the blocks on seat hoggers