We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
tipping

hell all;can you tell me what the common practice for tipping in the liverpool area is?meals,cabs,ect.I am used to tipping 10-15%-but mayby it's different there...the cabinman

UK
Level Contributor
541 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping

You don't need to tip, it's not expected at all - You don't need to tip someone for simply doing what they are paid to do!

Also in some places staff aren't allowed to accept tips!

If you feel you have recieved service over and above that which you would expect from a particular person or establishment then you could leave a small tip to show you appreciated them going that extra mile but *no -one* expects tips up here - nice if we do get them but definately not expected. "Keep the change" is about as much of a tip as is offered more often than not.

Now down south it's a completely different matter, they have got used to tourist tips and unfortunately seem to expect it now.

As an example - I used to work part time in a very popular country pub which happened to be very close to the motorway too - we regulary had Manchester united, Liverpool and many other football teams in, Lancashire cricket team came in quite often as did various motor racing teams and many actors from Manchester.

We worked our butts off and we must have done a good job because they kept coming back and in 3 years collectively we had no more than £20 in the tip jar.

:0)

liverpool
Level Contributor
912 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping

Cabin,

I slightly disagree with previous answer tipping is becoming a usual practice now for certain sectors Taxis for short journeys 50p in bars you usualy say "and your own" and they if decent take 20por 30p in restaurants about 10% is the norm some of the more discerning restaurants in Liverpool now add a separate service charge but all only apply if you get the service you expect it is still the norm not to tip if service is below par unlike yourselves and the States the minimum pay is higher here and so tipping is not badly required

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping

I have never come across any one in England who expects a tip. Rounding up is the most common form of tipping here.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping

I agree with scousekeith. Taxis usally about 10% as long as they have been civil with you, and that is not always the case. Restaurants similar. In a bar/pub "and your own," they'll take 10 to 50p but usually only say this on one occasion unless you get exceptionally friendly/good service (not at all uncommon in Liverpool). If the bar person has been very, very, exceptionally good and helpful, again not uncommon, you may say "take a drink" which means they will have one of their usual tipple.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping

Tipping in bars seems to be a practice peculiar to Liverpool. Many pubs have a house limit that the staff abide by and it is seldom more than 30 pence - its a classic case of less is more because many customers will say "and yourself" and they will take the money out of your change. But be warned this is a local practice and elsewhere in Britain they may take the full price of a drink!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping

I never tip in pubs but if someone is exceptionally helpful I may offer a drink etc. I think the usual is 10% for taxis & restuarants. If the service is exceptional I will often give a little more, or if it bad I won't leave any. I like to think I am generous but only if the service warrants it. I think that pople don't expect tips as high as 15%, as 10p% is norm. I unsure you won't go wrong by leaving this amount.

I read interesting article in the Times recently about tipping in NYC. A real eye opener for us Brits. If no tip was left, any future service was often almost offensive, as the norm tip expected was 15%. When a tip of 20% or was given the future service for that person was exceptional, almost like grovelling to every need. We Brits aren't tight in general but aren't to used the various cultures

Tipping is not a "must do" in UK, but is a gesture of appreciation. However, as 10pc is the norm in restuarants. many foreigners, especially Americans are used to tippnig more and pay far too much.

liverpool
Level Contributor
912 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping

Janner is quite right I think still the bigest problem is the basic wage I know from talkng to a bar attendant that the basic in the states is pitiful ven taking into the cost of living these people absolutely need the tips the big question is does this provide a better servce to the customer now that could start off a whole new debate

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping

Hi, folks. As an ex Liverpool cabbie I can tell you that MOST fares give a tip. Usually about 10%. It is not obligatory, but a lot of drivers have to hire their cabs and tips DO make a difference.

Regarding tipping in pubs, the words "and your own" usually ensures preferential service for subsequent orders - in a crowded bar this can be a boon.

In resturaunts the tip I give is always dependant on the quality of meal and service.

Oh, and even in the States the average I give is 15%. This is borderline tipping but is enough to get you decent service.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping

one thing to take note is many restuarants charge 10% on tables of six or more.....