We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

it looks like we will be staying in...

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
it looks like we will be staying in...

hello all;we it turn out that the grand national is slated for the first weekend that our family is visiting your fair city.so it looks like chester is a very good second choice for our base.we live in a small town here in alberta so we tend to gravitate towards smaller centers-as a matter of comfort.we have three purposes for this visit across the north atlantic-beatles,football,castles.we have recieved alot of terrific advice on this forum--and we need some more.we are not fancy people-our friends call us 'the griswalds'--enough said on that subject.so somewhere clean,reasonably modern rooms,preferably with a separate bedroom or two would be ideal-close to the train station in chester and close to a pub or two-for dinner with the griswalds.I have checked out alot of hotel menus online and fine dining I love-but my wife only seems to eat salads,and my kids are constantly picking at food that had a hint of something'yucky' in it.thanks slot...the cabinman

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

Hey, Cabinman, I can't recommend lodging or restaurants, but I do heartily recommend three things in Chester:

1) Spend some time at The Cross (the center of town) and on The Rows (the marvelous two-story covered walkways). The magpie (black-&-white) architecture is really beautiful. At first glance the buildings may look alike but they're not; they are definitely worth a close look at the differing patterns, curlicues, squares, diamonds, etc., and the beautiful windows. They also have proverbs written on them, and the dates of the buildings' construction. I loved The Rows, without ever going into a shop!

2) The wall walk is very good. Do a bit of research first so you can appreciate all the things you'll be seeing.

3) I recall liking Chester Cathedral but I'm sorry I can't tell you any details. Be sure to look for the Green Man on the exterior of the building (on the front, toward the right as I recall but we've already established I have a faulty memory!). It's one of my favorites because it is so bizarre. Make it a game for your kids to find it. :)

We were really taken with Chester; it's beautiful. We actually decided that we like it better than York, but that's heretical, isn't it? When will you be going?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

We stayed at the Abbotsford Court hotel, http://www.cityofchester.org/abbotsford.html Nothing spectacular, but clean, comfortable and friendly.

Near the train station (although you may want to take a cab the first time because the route is rather confusing) and a short walk into the walled city. There are pubs nearby, but we always walked into the city centre to eat, so cannot recommend any.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

hey britfan;thanks for the info --chester sounds really great.-I am taking your printout with us so I can see what you are referring to..but we need somewhere to lay our heads..keep the advice coming....the cabinman

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

and thank you ron from ottawa;I will look into that hotel;and I'm still looking for leeds castle...the cabinman

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

If you want clean and modern, and close to the city centre, have a look at the Holiday Inn Chester Racecourse - I know it's a Holiday Inn, but it is in a good spot and gets good reviews on this site.

The Grosvenor Hotel is lovely but very expensive, and the Recorder B&B is in a nice spot on the city walls but may not be modern enough for you.

Good luck with your search.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

Cabinman, I visit chester on a regulary basis for shopping.

Firstly the train station is a good walk away from the centre.

the holiday inn is in a great location a new hotel but you will pay for it.

What time of the year are you visiting?

The visitors centre the one by the roman ruins will interest your kids lots of info on chester there is also a small cafe with basic food at reasonable prices.

If the weather is good and done this loads of times and still do, we buy some sandwiches and head for the park with lots of seating and grass areas for your kids to run around, the park leads down to the river also nice place to eat your sanwhiches or try fish and chips there is a local close by.

There is also a pub by the canal where you can relax and enjoy a pint or two

There is a guided tour of the city with lots of info if you are interested or do this yourself with information from the visitors centre.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

thanks trish and joana;we are arriving at manchester airport april 6 and planned to tour the liverpool sights until the tenth,go to north wales for 4 days to see those wonderful looking castles,and then head back to liverpool-manchester for another 4 days.any suggestions for the location for our last four days?..thanks..the cabinman

UK
Level Contributor
541 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

The train station is a fair walk from the centre but if you retain your train ticket you can use it to get on the bus to the centre for FREE, these run every few minites and only take a few mins to reach destination.

Have you tried emailing the Chester tourist info centre - they willgive you all the info you need on hotels which fit your families needs.

Chester is lovely, racecourse, river with boats and swans, canal with barges, loads of old black and white buildings the old Roman ruins and the original Roman city walls etc, good shopping, some boutique shops too, the Dublin Packet pub is kinda cute and they do reasonable *pub grub*, there is also a pub called the Falconers (I think) they used to do great food and Jazz bands but that was some time ago.

They do Christmas street farmers market too, you could check with tourist info as to when they start.

:0)

UK
Level Contributor
541 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

Ha, stupid me - sorry, forget the market, I didn't notice the date you were arriving - maybe they do an Easter type one too.

:0)

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: it looks like we will be staying in...

I've just answered a couple of your other posts so thought I would comment here as well. How's that for consistency!

If you're going straight to Chester from Manchester Airport it might be best to get a train from the Aiprort (on-site) to Crewe (maybe ten minutes south) and then change to a train to Chester. Chester station is a little out of the city centre but you should be able to get a taxi to wherever you're staying.

If you're staying in North Wales then I'd recommend Conwy as a great town to stay in. It has it's own castle and city walls and offers easy access to a few other gorgeous places. You could get the train straight to Conwy (right by the castle) from Chester or Liverpool.

If you're looking for somewhere else to stay, think about Manchester itself. It's a fantastic city and could be good for you.

Or, if you want small towns/countryside, maybe the Welsh borders (Shropshire), the Lakes or you could even think about taking your kids to Alton Towers (I think it'll be open in April).