We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crosby beach

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
zagreb
7 posts
Save Topic
crosby beach

hi, can anyone tell what Crosby beach is like? i've seen photos and it looks beautiful... is it hard to get to from the center of Liverpool, by bus, or train..?

thanx..

zagreb
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: crosby beach

i've seen some more photos, and it doesn't seem so beautiful.. would anyone recommend to see it or not really..? :)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crosby beach

Just carryon a bit further on the train and go to Formby. Red squirrels, nature reserve, nice beach...

Crosby beach might be lovely, I just don't remember it.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crosby beach

It's a rubbish beach.The sand is nice,the sea is filthy.Only worth going if you want to see the Gormley statues.Take the Northern Line train from Liverpool stations to Blundellsands and Crosby and it's a brisk 10 minutes walk down from there via Mersey Road.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,395 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crosby beach

minnie073 I've only been once, by car, so can't advise on public transport from experience. However I found this link

www.sefton.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=6216

which gives directions and information. The Antony Gormley statues cover a big area both into the sea and along the lenght of the beach. The beach is largely sandy, but I gather mostly disappears at high tide - you may want to find a tide table if you're planning to visit.

I'll also second the suggestion of Formby & the nature reserve, though perhaps red squirrels would be less of a novelty for you than for most Britons.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-formby

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crosby beach

The nearest station on the Northern Line for the red squirrel sanctuary is Freshfield.3/4 of a mile walk from there due west.The beach at Freshfield is if anything better than the beach at Formby and you can walk along the beach to Ainsdale if it's a nice day, about 3 miles.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crosby beach

If it is where the Gormly statues are, you need to head for Crosby Leisure Centre...

The nearest statin is Blundellsands and Crosby..

About a 5 min walk...

I have been many times...when the tide is out you get the full impact

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crosby beach

May have misread...if you are looking to sunbathe???!!! i would suggest a sunbed shop..!!

The beaches in the northwest of England can be nice, but its the weather that is changable...

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: crosby beach

Crosby is an urban, industrial beach, next to Liverpool's docks, not suitable for swimming, i.e. always red flag. However, it hosts the Antony Gormley installation 'Another Place' which consists of 100 life-size cast-iron replicas of the artist's body installed along 3 km of beach and stretching about 1 km out to sea. I love it, have visited many times, and recommend it. You can see pictures on Flickr.com

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: crosby beach

i would recommend you get there from liverpool central station to waterloo train station. it is about 5 minute walk along South Road to crosby marina and another 5 minute walk to the beach. South Road has plenty of shops bars and resturants which are very lively in afternoons and in the evening. The beach is not the best beach in the world but on a nice day it isn't so bad. Formby / Freshfield is much nicer but it is a slightly further walk from the trainstations.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: crosby beach

Previous reply is factually incorrect and should be ignored.Train station for Crosby Beach is Blundellsands and Crosby.If you alight at Waterloo you will have a 45 minutes walk to Crosby Beach and the Gormley statues.Yes Freshfield/Formby sands are great but you can't walk to them from Waterloo or even Blundellsands and Crosby Stations.Alight at Formby or Freshfield train stations and walk for at least a mile.