We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
370 reviews
Save Topic
Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

Easy to find this stuff if you live in London, but I'm a great advocate of quirky, interesting and different things to do in and around the city or region where I live - am more than happy to be of help to people visiting for the first time who want some great ideas for spending a few spare hours or days. Alternatively, you might have lived here for years and have missed some great hidden bits of the fantastic city where we live - ask me and I can suggest some ideas!

This topic should be a great place for other members to contribute ideas too - add suggestions and no-one will ever again be able to tell us that Leicester is boring or that there is nothing to do!

See my post below for some initial ideas - contact me for more!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

OK - here's some initial ideas for things to do: if anyone tries these - please post to this forum and review them - let me know what you think of my suggestions!

1) A walking tour of Leicester's new City Centre Regeneration and various themed Quarters - a great way to explore the city and all its hidden character (if you'd like a pdf copy of this let me know and I'll email you a copy as it is no longer online :( )

2) Visit the cheapest traditional pub in Leicester - step back in time to the magnificent Shakespeare's Head!

3) See nature in the City Centre - walk along the canal in either direction - hidden calm and industrial hertage, nature and a chilled waterside vibe

4) Cycle the City - pick up the Great Central Way and cytcle it's length to get a great cross section of the city as it moves out into open country. Well connected to the NCN. Best to start at Bede Island.

5) The cheapest and freshest Naan bread you've ever tried - behind Gallowtree gate and on Lee Circle there is an incredibl;e little shop just called "Fresh Naan" - it makes them fresh on the premises as you wait and sells nothing else - 5 for a quid and then they wrap them up in paper and off you go! Fantastic...

6) Take the kids to the City Farm - sheep, chickens, ducks - you get the picture - try it! http://www.gorsehillcityfarm.org.uk/

7) Go inside a forgotten church in Leicester! Just behind the High Cross Car Park hides All Saints - a "forgotten" and now redundant Leicester Church - get the key from West End Gallery (free) and spend as long as you like wandering around the church interior - fascinating and a little spooky. The graveyard is interesting too: see also - …wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Leicester

8) See Victorian spleandor and gothic eeriness at Leicester Welford Road Cemetary - not being morbid, but this is well worth a look for anyone who enjoys fine views, great architecture or has any interest in urban development in large cities.

9) Leicester's Industrial Heritage - create a great photo set and be artisitc - take a camera down to the area around the Canal and walk out towards Belgrave - take a great set of pics of tyhe huge numbers of Victorian textile factories and their cityscapes - chapels, terraced housing, cobbled streets and corner shops and pubs. get it now before it gets demolished or converted.

10) Make a sound board - use a mobile or digital dictaphone to make a sound diary of your visit to Leicester - good places to visit to record this multisensory travelogue would be: the Market Square, Leicester Station, Burleigh Flyover, the Fan Club, Belgrave/Melton Road, the Curve Interior, Canalside

These ideas might seem a bit crazy or eccentric but I believe will really help people get in touch with our city - let me know what you think, and post your own ideas too!

England
Level Contributor
131 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

What a bout a walk up Belgrave road and Melton road, with a bite to eat?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

I agree - I take a group of school students along this route and give them a virtual "fieldtrip" by asking them to "find" several different cultural ingredients and complete a "treasure hunt" - would be great if you had kids!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

Try these new ones...contact me for more info:

A couple of ideas for things to do if you have not already got them - a visit to the University Botanic Gardens to see the sculpture trail, hothouses and water gardens.

For the environmental and nature minded try a day's free conservation course/workshop/voluteering along sites such as Leicester's Brock Hill or Great Central Way (wonderful 10 mile return cycle ride along here too) with the BTCV - Leicester Conservation Volunteers:

TEL: 0116 289 2356

EMAIL: uk_lcv@yahoo.co.uk

or search at http://www.btcv.org.uk/volunteer/index.html

Will post more as they occur to me - consider visiting the Eco-house too for something different - an environmentally responsible day out! See …groundwork.org.uk/leicester--leicestershire…

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

A couple more...the itinerary for the walking tour of Leicester's new City Centre Regeneration and various themed Quarters - is now available from the visit Leicester website or email matthewb153@bosworthacademy.org.uk

More ooh arr farmer days out - just outside the city try the much more extensive Stonehurst FArm - complete with Vintage Car Museum.

Do a walking tour of Stoneygate's amazing Architecture - this Edwardian suburb really has historical value and many famous links to the Arts and Crafts movements, a must see ofr all fans of architecture or really getting into the city. - download the routes from:

leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/…

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,087 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

Great ideas here, and a wonderful job you are doing of selling Leicester.

Too many British people write off the towns and cities in which they live as boring, drab and uninteresting just because they do not contain obvious tourist honeypots - yet these places often have a rich history which is there for anyone who wants to explore it. I would much rather live in a real city than a tourist theme park.

And if you think there is nothing going on where you live - start something!

Happy New Year.

Leicester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

As a recent to Leicester this is a really great idea. I've seen similar blogs covering the hidden gems of areas such as Manchester/ Newcastle and London so it's great to find one to help me explore my new home-town a bit more.

Any more suggestions for hidden, independent pubs would be great. I love the Globe and The Orange Tree so far and am keen to visit the Swan and Rushes.

Suggestions for independent restaurants would be really helpful too. Where would people suggest for a quirky, curry house serving something a little bit more different and authentic than the usual kormas and Madras? I was intruiged by the menu at Anjuana which serves Goan dishes as thier speciality.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
684 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

I have enjoyed visiting the Botanical Gardens for the sculptures as well as the gardens, great suggestion.

For a good quirky curry place you could try Cuisine of India in Wigston. Located in an old pub building it's not what you expect, great food with an extensive menu beyond korma and tikka, well worth a visit.

With all the expected Richard III interest, the castle area is great for wandering around, go through Prince Rupert's gate and stop by the Newarke Houses museum too.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

I heard on the news they are opening a Richard III exhibition which could be interesting

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hidden Leicester - quirky things to do in/around the City!

I heard on the news they are opening a Richard III exhibition which could be interesting