We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip to Blackpool

ireland
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
My trip to Blackpool

Well I just got back from Blackpool on Sunday, again I had a brilliant time. Weather was great and hotel was great.

Plane was full from singles to older people, familes to couples.

We arrived on Friday afternoon, and got a very friendly taxi driver to our hotel, 'The GR8 hotel' located on Centeral Drive. The location was excellent, on the street facing the back of Coral Island. The hotel was great, friendly reception staff, quick check in, good sized room and good bathroom. Well everything you need really for a B&B, the only downside was the breakfast, not really that good. The hotel was 2 minutes walk from coral Island, the prom, the tower and the shops. I would stay at this hotel again. Reasonable prices as well, not really suitable for familes but singles and couples.

Went out on Friday night to sample the nightlife, went to Cahoots, Brannigans, Flares, Hush and Walkabout. Flares was a hoot, excellent music (from 70's) and great bar staff.

On Saturday we went to the tower, I really recommend a trip to the top, the view was amazing, really clear day. Watched in amazment at the dancers in the ballroom, I was so impressed at how they carried themselves. Also the ballroom is so grand. The tower top and the walk of faith is to be seen. A glass walkover with a drop down below the prom, its scary and I know nothing will happen but its the thought lol.

Also visited Ripleys Believe it or not, I was amazed at this place. For all the family. Check out the tap as you go in the door!! Its floats in mid air!!!

Also visited Louis Tussauds (again!) went in October but my friend wanted to go, alot of the models do look like who they are meant to but others could have some work on them. But again I do think it is worth the money!

On Saturday night again hit the town with friends that I know live in Blackpool. Lionels, I dont know if anyone has been here but i thought Lionel Vinyl was sooo funny, definatly a great place to start the night, he knows how to work a crowd comes complete with afro and mediallion lol

One thing I noticed about my stay this time was the difference in prices, everything was alot cheaper than during the illuminations, but again I guess you would get that everywhere. I thought for end of January it still had a great feel, with plenty of people about. so it does attract people throughout the year! i was talking to an older couple on the plane on the friday and they said they had been going to blackpool twice a year for 26 years! So obiviously they dont see it has a toliet and take it for its advantages.

I have to say I really enjoyed blackpool on my second trip in 3 months, I really think the place has a feel good factor. I dont think its tacky one bit, Its aimed for families and singles, to couples to older people. It is a party town but look beyond that and you see a great resort. I know Blackpool is having it tough, but with the plans that are in progress it will pick up no problem. And I know for a fact I will return year after year!

If you look harder and give the place a chance I know you will see why so many people on here enjoy going to Blackpool, remember you go and make your own impression dont let what you hear through ear put you off!

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Coral Island Blackpool
Coral Island Blackpool
1,731 Reviews
Blackpool, UK
Kings Hotel
Kings Hotel
#1 of 72 hotels in Blackpool
Clifton Court Hotel
Clifton Court Hotel
#2 of 72 hotels in Blackpool
New Guilderoy Hotel Blackpool
New Guilderoy Hotel Blackpool
#3 of 72 hotels in Blackpool
Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip to Blackpool

Great post Zoe and glad you had another great time !

You'll need to get your next flights booked !! Wow weekends start at Pleasure Beach on 10th February !

ireland
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip to Blackpool

Im defo doing the Plesure beach next time Doc, you all arranged and all?

Had an amazing time, roll on my next trip :-)

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip to Blackpool

Waiting to find out what my bonus is going to be !! Due on 18th March so rest assured, first opportunity after that I'll be back down.

Unfortunately Infusion isn't going to be open by that stage.

Guess it just means I'll need to go back again later in the year !

ireland
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip to Blackpool

any excuse ;)

Just looking at flights for July, cant wait!

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip to Blackpool

Zoe,

Excellant report and another positive one for the town.

I`m down next weekend and like you I always look forward to our breaks in Blackpool.

I been to Blackpool many times over the years but never been to the waxworks, would you recommend it?

I`ve been to Tussauds in London before but never Blackpool one.

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip to Blackpool

Zippy it's worth going just to laugh at how bad some of them actually are !!

They spent quite a bit of money doing it up. They would have been better spending it on making the dummies look like the celebrities.

I have an old photo from a good few years back of me standing next to "Nigel Mansell" - I think it looked more like Murray Walker !!!!

They did used to have a really good Alec Gilroy mind you !

Dr Who exhibition and Ripleys Believe it or Not make for much better value. Obviously though if you're not into the Doctor then the Who exhibition wont be much fun !!

ireland
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My trip to Blackpool

yeah Zippy, I agree with Doc, Ripleys is defo much better value, some of the models in the waxworks are good, but some are awful.

Honestly David Beckham and Wayne Rooney made me laugh.

The chamber of Horrors is the best part of the exhibition, if you have a little extra money and time to spare I would go.

Im jealous your there next weekend lol have a great time!

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My trip to Blackpool

Thanks doc,

I`m not into Dr Who, never have been, sorry.

I`ve been to Ripleys and I thought it was great value.

I think the Ice show at the Pleasure Beach and Dr Who are the only things I`ve never been to in Blackpool.

I`ve always got the tickets for the Ice show when you buy the wrist band but I`ve never actually went!!

If you look at my post last night, it looks like I`ll be going to the Ice skating at the PB, if open!

Zip

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My trip to Blackpool

Not into Doctor Who !?!? That's it then no more answering any of your questions ;-p

Never been to "Hot Ice" either. Likewise always had the tickets but never had the inclination to go along. My mum and gran went one year and said it was the best show they had ever been to.

Can't see me going along anytime soon though. I think they do have a new show on at Pleasure Beach this year though instead of Eclipse which seems to have been running for ever.

Best show at the park is the Ken Webster adult hypnotist one. Obviously now with two young 'uns in tow I'll not be seeing him for a while either but he is hilarious.

Trying to think of things in Blackpool I haven't done....

The Model Village which looks pretty dire. Other than that I think I've pretty much tried it all, from the Go Karts at Starr Gate up to the Pitch and Putt at Cleveleys.

Haven't done - and never would do - the Scad Tower or bungee swings on the South Pier mind you !

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
10,511 Reviews
Blackpool, UK
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
South Pier
South Pier
216 Reviews
Blackpool, UK
ireland
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My trip to Blackpool

I have always wanted to do the go karts, but when I was there my last 2 times there wasn't much about open about from the major attractions, but when Im there in the summer there will be plenty to do, we are going to go for 4 nights.

Have you ever been the zoo??

Worth going for the day.

AND doc i am getting to the plesure beach next time :-)