We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice / suggestions, Please!!

Which Blackpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
252 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice / suggestions, Please!!

Hi all,

My husband & I hope to visit Blackpool for a mini-break, Feb. / March.

(a) My main query is if anyone might suggest a nice reasonably priced hotel in a central & safe area?

(b) We are in our 60ies & have had a wish for many years to dance at the Tower Ballroom, perhaps one of you may have information in when dances are held, or is the ballroom open in Feb./Mch.?

(c) Any suggestions on places to visit or other entertainment that people of our age might enjoy, would be appreciated.

(d) We would be flying Ryanair, I am wondering if this is the only airport & is there a regular shuttle to town centre?

Answers Please, Please, Many thanks,

Bunty.

(Ireland)

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Advice / suggestions, Please!!

I just got pelters in an Edinburgh forum for suggesting it was dirty and overpriced.... then of course they all noticed I post a lot in Blackpool so they jumped on the fact that I can defend Blackpool but not Edinburgh.

The difference is Blackpool doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. It's a loud brash seaside resort with areas of tranquility. That's what it does best.

Really is something for everybody !

I think we're going down early March for the Wow weekend. Although I see the price has gone up 50% on last year :-(

Summer holidays are going to be Scarborough I think though - of course with 2 days at Blackpool on the way home !

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
252 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Advice / suggestions, Please!!

Hi Micra & Doc,

Thanks for takig time out to reply, I think you are both doing a good promotion atance to sell Blackpool.

(a) It sounds just like my place! our primary interest is to dance at the Tower (mind you we are very much, only amateurs) but would really like to fulfil this dream

(b) I love Arcades, with slots etc. (however hubby - hates them)

(c) I also love Markets especially, second-hand ones, where I can rummage for hours

(d) Tacky, I don't like, on a visit too Canada we went to Niagra Falls, which was breath-taking, however the town itself was so disappointing!!, Plastic, Plastic everywhere & sooo, sooooo, Tacky

I feel I know what to expect & we are both good at adjusting!

Really looking forward to trip!

Bunty

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Advice / suggestions, Please!!

Hi Bunty

In reply to your request, I am 58 and my wife and I can recommend two hotels for different reasons.

Hacketts York House Hotel is on the North Shore near the Cliffs Hotel. it is on the sea front with easy access to the trams etc. Food is very good any there is entertainment each evenning. Prices are extremely good and you can check them on ITV teletext page 260. Check on Trip Advisor for the reveiws.

The second one we stayed at lst year was the Colwyn hotel, South Promenade, just below the Pleasure Beach. The hotel is in a quiet possition on the sea front with good rooms, food and prices. The owner and staff are very helpful, in fact we are going back there again in April 07. Again check Trip Advisor for reveiws.

Do not be afraid to ask questions and talk about your needs. My Wife is partially disabled and we needed a larger bathroom with shower and twin beds, which we got.

Hope you enjoy your hols

Regards Ian from Devon

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Advice / suggestions, Please!!

Stayed at Colwyn a few years ago and thought it was excellent too. Then, however, we went back the following year. Turned up at the door and was greeted by a Rotweiller !!

Needless to say, with young kid in tow we just turned round and went elsewhere.

Hacketts does look nice though. Although it's next door to my favourite "biggie" - The Cliffs so have never stayed at it.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
252 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Advice / suggestions, Please!!

Hi Ian & Doc,

Appreciate your info. I'm looking at hotels & have seen a couple with indoor heated pools, hubby enjoys a swim & I love the hot-tub.

However I have not made up my mind yet!!! so any suggestions are appreciated & budget does come into it as we travel quite a bit now that we are on our own.

Thanks,

Bunty

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Advice / suggestions, Please!!

Hi Bunty,

I know it's not Blackpool but in answer to one of your posts, Niagara is supposed to be tacky, its the love town of where USA meets Canada, motels with hot tubs shaped like jacuzzis, water beds. People turn up to get married and then find a motel to have fun. Where you should have gone is Niagara on the lake. Old Colonial style houses, most of them B&B's. There's even an old English style pub that serves ales and steak pies. There's also an all year round quaint Christmas shop. It has to be one of the most idillyic little towns in the world.Trip advisor differentiates between the two

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154999-Niagara_on_th…

A bit like Lytham St Annes and Blackpool maybe!! :)

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
252 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Advice / suggestions, Please!!

Hi all,

I not sure if we will be able to go to Blackpool in Feb. after all. I've received news that my sister in Winchester has broken her hip, so it's more likely that we will visit her.

However I wish to thank all of you who so kindly answered my queries & perpaps we may get an opportunity later! perhaps March all being well.

North shore, my comment on Niagara town may not hold much substance, as we were only there for one day, as we were travelling north. I'm sure you are correct in your observation.

Regards & thanks to all,

Bunty

England
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Advice / suggestions, Please!!

Hi Bunty,

Hope your sister is better soon and that you get to dance at the Tower in the not too distant future!

29. Re: Advice / suggestions, Please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 23, 2009