We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackpool With Kids

Which Blackpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Blackpool With Kids

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of advice, we were planning on going to Blackpool for the first weekend of the October half term with our 2 children 7 and 4 to see the lights. I have spoken to a few people and they have really put me off, saying its full of drunks, hen and stag parties. I have never been, but is it really that bad?

Thanks

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,343 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blackpool With Kids

Not sure you will have a problem with those groups of people during daylight hours ! Being of the grandparent generation we find that after the Pleasure Beach then Blackpool Zoo, Fairhaven Lake, the pier and sands at St Annes and the Green and windmill at Lytham are all family friendly places to visit. We also go through the illuminations very early evening.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blackpool With Kids

Being the half term week, that weekend will be very busy with families and yes you get a number of drunks but not as noticeable in such large crowds.The bars on the piers are good for families and there are plenty of cafes in Blackpool offering decent food at fair prices. I don't know if you were planning to go to the pleasure beach but I would suggest going on a Sunday as it's normally a bit quieter than a Saturday although it is dependant on the weather(book tickets online before hand to save money)

Edited: 12:25 pm, September 29, 2012
bonnie scotland
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blackpool With Kids

Hello

We are going next week with our 7 year old son. I don't think you are likely to cross paths with the stags and hens too often, as any I have seen in the past are just heading to bars and clubs in the town centre, and by the time they are drunk and heading back to their accomodation it will be pretty late and I imagine your family will be indoors by then. I have never experienced any trouble with the stags and hens, and to be honest, haven't 'met' that many whilst out and about. I have seen them in the distance, dressed up and eager to get to their venue. Please don't worry, they are highly unlikely to be in the same places that young families are, they will be more interested in pubs and nightclubs etc.

I know many people do marry in the autumn and winter, but I think the spring and summer seasons will be more popular with the stags and hens than later in the year!

Your children are at a good age to enjoy the magic of the illuminations and everything else Blackpool has to offer!

Enjoy yourselves!

Edited: 5:11 am, October 01, 2012
Buckinghamshire, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blackpool With Kids

Don't be put off as it is not that bad at all. Our family has visited Blackpool for years and go at least 1 -2wce a year. Blackpool is fun and has loads of places that the children will find fun to visit. There's Go-Karting, Model Village, The Zoo, the Sea shore which spans for miles with three piers and loads more. Yes, you may see parties of people on stag and hen outings but generally they are reasonably behaved and not always drunk out of their faces. The atmosphere is great and you will find that like you, many of us are there in families with children. We tend to stay in nearby Bispham though which is much more quieter at night but have stayed in South Shore and Central before and found it okay.

Try visiting the place yourself at least once then you'll have a better opinion of it. We went two weekends ago and will be there for the half term with two children 9 - 14.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blackpool With Kids

Stay away from this toilet on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Its ok monday-thursday though.

I'v seen so much trouble here with drunk idiots. I would not take my family here at a weekend.

6. Re: Blackpool With Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 17, 2014