We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

Which Blackpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,373 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

I have stayed in a couple of Brittania Hotels and they are not at the top end of the hotel market admittedly. They seem to buy out 'faded glory' buildings and fill them with coach tours.

I'm a regular to Blackpool and keep an eye on the reviews but lately I can't believe just how bad the Norbreck Castle views are particularly in terms of poor hygiene and shabbiness.

The reviews are variable so is this place really so bad and if it is, why aren't the tourist and Council authorities doing something about it?

It can't be doing the resort many favours judging by the number of people who say they'll never set foot in the resort again because of their experience there.

Just wondered what the people who know and live in Blackpool think.

Jules

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

Hi Jules

Heard lots of negativity about this place for a longtime now!! Right up until Wednesday this week. Been along to Blackpool visiting my sis.

By the way, have a lovely holiday!

Margaurite

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

Strange to say, I found myself staying there last night. While walking down the stairs, the couple in front said hello to a man coming up the stairs, who then stated that this was the worse hotel he had ever stayed in. The woman (of the couple) then replied, 'why was that?' The rest was lost as they went off in another direction from me. Is it that bad?

I've certainly stayed in far worse. I also suspect it does depend on whereabouts you are staying as to the experience that you have. One thing it is not. And that is a very uptodate glamourous hotel. The public areas, reception, corridors are certainly in need of a makeover. It is without a doubt an extremely busy hotel. It was packed - just go along Blackpool front to see how many hotels are closed down / for sale to get some idea on how well it is doing.

So what did I get for my £50 for two people (including breakfast). I ended up in a room in the wing nearest to Blackpool centre. The double room was fine (and very clean) as was the bathroom. We slept very well. Breakfast, yes we had to queue for about 5mins. Not a big issue. Plenty to eat and if I'd been having the buffet style breakfast supplied, outside, I'd be expecting to pay about £6 ea. for what I had. Whether the busy style of the hotel is for you. Some I suspect would be very put off. One thing of note is that they didn't seem to have problems coping with seating disabled people.

But generally it did me fine. Would I stay there again? Depends on the price and of course, while it came with free parking, it's getting on to 2miles out of town. The tram ride cost £2 pp single.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,373 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

I have never personally stayed at the Norbreck and won't be rushing there any time soon. I have however stayed at its 'sister' hotel The Metropole and found it to be ok in the premier rooms using the Worral Restaurant.

The recent reviews of the Metropole are truly shocking however including one that defies belief about a couple on honeymoon with a special needs child.

If the details of that review are true, Brittania need to be hanging their heads in shame!

Jules

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,373 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

Just reading the latest review from a Scottish visitor, 'William', who blames the quality of the guests at the Norbreck rather than the quality of the hotel! He suggests a maximum age limit of 50 be applied to avoid the hotel taking on the appearance of 'a Care Home'. He may be surprised to discover that people in their 50's, 60's and 70's do not live in residential care as a rule!

So clearly older people should refrain from taking holidays because they cramp this man's style and make the place seem untidy, 'tired and shabby' (his words).

There is no greater ugliness than intolerance, blatant ageism and pomposity. This hotel has its problems but it's not the genuine older holidaymakers who create it, it's the arrogance of younger people who think the world belongs to them. This is one of the most offensive reviews I've ever read on TA and the Norbreck gets some bad ones.

On this occasion, it is the reviewer who fails the quality test, not the hotel!

Jules

Burstwick, Hull
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

jules,may I, on behalf of the those of us still able to focus upon and operate a keyboard, thank you . I am very fortunate in that only earlier today, my granddaughter wanted to raid my wardrobe as it contained things that were "cool", (not prepared to admit to which decade these things were from).

The "arrogance of youth",is something which each generation has to deal with but, this time round, it seems to be far more aggressive in certain people. We have stayed in several places over the years when people in our own age group have asked "Why are you going there?" The answer being,"Why not?"

I hope I do not find myself in William`s company ,I fear I should find him to be very boring.

LaMaP.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,373 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

Thanks LaMaP. Thankfully TA have a very robust policy towards discriminatory views and as a result the offending article has been removed.

As someone who has just passed the age where William would have me whipped into Care, your post made me chuckle.

Happy Holidays,

Jules

17. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, October 06, 2012
18. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

19. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

Edited: 5:05 pm, October 06, 2012
20. Re: Is the Norbreck Castle really THAT bad?'

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:53 am, October 07, 2012