We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
529 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

...of the Top 10 most disappointing UK attractions.

Full list:

1 Stonehenge

2 Angel of the North, Gateshead

3 Blackpool Tower

4 Land's End, Cornwall

5 Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain, London

6 The London Eye

7 Brighton Pier

8 Buckingham Palace

9 White Cliffs of Dover

10 Big Ben

Is that the sound of another nail being hammered into the coffin I hear? What say you?

Mentioned in this post
The Blackpool Tower
The Blackpool Tower
8,680 Reviews
Blackpool, UK
Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain
Diana Princess of Wales...
620 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Blackpool
Level Contributor
645 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

You could point to the fact that London has 4 attractions in the top 10....but like the current trend you only see Blackpool.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

Yes I could have, you're right. But I anticipated that iven the popularity of the London forum someone else would pick up on those in due course, and given that Blackpool was part of my life, unlike London, I thought I'd contribute to this forum instead.

Apologies for having the temerity.

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

Hmm, am interested to know how "they" came about this list.

Although, everyone has different opinions when it comes to attractions.

I mean, ask a group of Pagans and many will say "Stonehenge is the BEST attraction". Fully agree with number 2 though.

Can't comment on 4 through 10 as I've honestly never been to them.

I don't think it is the nail in the coffin though. Not even a set back. How many people actually take notice of these?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

I think the survey group was c.1200 customers of Virgin Travel Insurance services, but you're right, its very dependent on who is being asked as to the results you're going to get.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

Also be interesting to know who of the surveyed have actually been within a mile of the sites or are they answering in terms of perception?

I still like Stonehenge but accept plenty don't.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

Cornish - I'd be rather surprised if they can be underwhelmed without visiting the site in question.

"I was so underwhelmed by the site I didn't even bother going"

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

Apart from Land's End I know the "attractions" fairly well. e.g. Angel of the North is a "statue", nothing else, it's quite striking at 1st view, amusing at 2nd, and ignored at 3rd. it's there, it's not really an attraction - do folk expect a Disney style ride there?

As I said on another forum, Stonehenge has never been the same since the rook blew off; people love Brighton pier/hate Brighton pier; apparently the Queen doesn't like Buckingham Palace so maybe she voted - she's not allowed the proper vote; Dover Cliffs - is this from the people who sail towards them or stand on top wondering where they are ?? or who fall off?

It's all subjective; from a VERY few people then sold as "gospel". How many other "surveys" do we see with the same validity and on a "no news" day they are picked up by the National News channels as fact?

Also what do they expect from Big Ben; mice running up and down?

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,159 Reviews
London, UK
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

Oh I wish we could edit; re Stonehenge the "rook" flew off; I meant "roof" !!

London
Level Contributor
915 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

Its all personal preference, so very sad to see such an allegedly definitive list get this relatively high profile in the media.

Personally, I love the Angel of the North. Driven past it many a time and it always gives me a slight glow of happiness, knowing that I'm approaching my favourite part of the UK! Co-incidently, my parents stopped there yesterday and were just as impressed to see it up-close. Its a piece of public art, not a visitor attraction! What are visitors expecting when they go there, to be disappointed by it?

Same regarding Stonehenge, OK its not as atmospheric a location than many stone circles but it is still the most accessible for the average tourist. Personally, I don't have an issue with not being able to go up and touch the stones, which appears to be the bugbear of most visitors - its not as though I'd go to Canterbury cathedral and expect to be allowed to stand behind the altar, so I think its just as disrespectful for people to think they have the right to clamber all over the stones.

I agree about Lands End though - fight your way through tourist tat, just to get to the end of a peninsula. Better seen from a distance, as nothing but sea to view when you get to the end of it! :-)

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blackpool Tower comes in at number 3...

"Is that the sound of another nail being hammered into the coffin I hear"

No.

Coffee has got you spot on. It's funny when I heard this on talkSPORT (who also ridiculed the list) I had a feeling that one of the regular Blackpool bashers would come along and try to make out this proves that the resort is finished.

Absolute nonsense.

Indeed was nice to see the Tower, and indeed Blackpool getting some favourable publicity on ITV's Britain's Best View program last Sunday.

Anyhow I agree with what's been said before. I would be surprised if even 500 of the 1200 had even been to the Tower, never mind Blackpool.

It seems as if the place is just too easy a target.

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK