We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip report

Which Blackpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
My trip report

Hi all,

Just got back from a few days away in Blackpool and then York and thought I'd do a report on my visit to Blackpool:

We arrived on Thursday evening after a horrendous seven hour journey, (it took three hours just to get from Stoke - usually the last short leg of the journey!)

It was very odd to be booking in at the Travel Inn on Bispham Road as I used to live on the street that backs onto it. The shell of the old 'Red Lion' hasn't changed at all since it was my local as a teenager, but most of the inside is now given over to the restaurant.

There's a nice playground for the kids outside, so, after having a walk up to Bispham village with the kids to let them stretch their legs, they enjoyed playing on the climbing frames, etc. until my dad came over later in the evening.

The following morning we headed into town where we visited the Doctor Who exhibition. The kids really enjoyed it and I did too! Afterwards we passed briefly through Coral Island so that the kids could play air hockey, before going for lunch at Yorkshire Fisheries. (BTW, I recommend the home-made cheese and onion pie.)

We bought cakes in Abingdon Street Market before visiting Huttons Chocolate shop for Easter eggs. it was a beautiful day, so we walked back to the car along the prom, stopping off at the RNLI station en route to see the lifeboats.

We then headed for Stanley Park, which was pretty busy on Good Friday afternoon. It was good to see that parts of the park are being refurbished thanks to Heritage Lottery funding. We walked down to the lake and hired a motor boat. Letting my children steer was an act of faith in itself, but they did a pretty good job!

That evening we visited my father, then an old school friend of mine, before retiring exhausted to bed!

The following morning, we checked out of the hotel and headed off to the Pleasure Beach. Once again, it was a beautiful, sunny day, but even though there were loads of people around, Beaver Creek was pretty quiet. I bought the kids wristbands for £15. (This year, these are valid for the whole park - not just Beaver Creek, which makes much more sense.)

The kids really enjoyed themselves, (as did we). The mini log flume was a big hit, but, once again, Noah's Ark was their absolute favourite. My husband hadn't been to the Pleasure Beach before, and all morning the kids were telling him how much he was going to love Noah's Ark. It didn't disappoint! (Not bad for a ride that's been going since 1926!)

By 1pm it was time to head off for York. It was good to spend time with family and friends, but we wished we'd been able to stay for longer. I'm planning to visit again in the summer - just me and the kids, so we'll be able to go to the Zoo, the Model Village and the Tower, (again!)

:)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip report

Did you drive? ;-)

England
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip report

Hi.

We did drive - I've gone up on th train from London before, but because we were going on to York, we took the car. I was regretting that decision when stuck on the M6 for hours on Thursday! Having said that, our trip along the A59 to York from Blackpool was wonderful!

:)

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip report

Micra: You sure did cram in a lot of activities -- and lucked out with great weather, too!

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip report

Brilliant post again micra :-)

Glad you had a ball. The Doctor Who exhibition is superb !

Couldn't agree more re the kids wristbands too. Lots of rides outside Beaver Creek that the kids can enjoy like the Monorail, Gold Mine, River Caves, Flying Machines and of course the ever excellent Noah's Ark like you say !

I've still never tried this Yorkshire Fisheries but it seems to get many a good write up on here..I wonder where I'll be going for tea early next month then ;-)...................

ireland
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip report

Sounds like you had a ball Micra ;-) Glad to hear you had fun as always. Another trip for the summer 2, Im counting down the days.

I know what you mean Doc I have still got to try this chippy 2, defo when I get back, I feel Im missing out.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
674 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip report

Great report micra. Oh i soooo want to be there soon. I go to Benidorm in 4 wks and as soon as i get back i,ll be back to Blackpool. Cant wait and thats great about the wrist bands being for other parts of the fair too.

7. Re: My trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:27 am, August 30, 2009