We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Windermere from London on 26th October 2013

Leuven, Belgium
1 post
Save Topic
Getting to Windermere from London on 26th October 2013

Can you please advise is there a train from London to Windermere after 4pm and how long does it take?

What is the cost for a ticket and how can I purchase it?

Thank you

michele

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Windermere from London on 26th October 2013

You can get there from Euston, but train times depend on the day of the week and the cost depends on both the day of the week and how far in advance you book.

Research yourself (and buy tickets) here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Edited: 1:12 pm, September 27, 2013
Lancashire
Level Contributor
288 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Windermere from London on 26th October 2013

Yes id go by train from Euston. You may have to change in Preston or Lancaster from the Virgin Pendolino to Glasgow onto a different train just serving the lake district.

I usually only travel as far as Preston and that is a good 2.5 hours so Im guessing 3.5 ish. Travelling at 4pm on a Saturday is outside of Peak Times I think but I think you will be looking at 50-80 pounds return.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Windermere from London on 26th October 2013

Trains leave London Euston

@ 1630. Three hours twenty six minutes journey time

1730 just over three hours

1830 just over three hours

At the moment its £44.50 one way

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

London
Level Contributor
10,339 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Windermere from London on 26th October 2013

For long distance trains in the UK, there can be many prices.

An 'off peak' fare is flexible, can be bought at any time, and the return fare is £97.

If you are absolutely sure of your travel plan you may instead purchase an 'advance' ticket. These are always singles, so you'd need to buy one for each way. They can be very cheap (as low as £17 on this route), but you must be sure of your travel plan as they are only valid on the exact train booked. One of the oddities of the fare structure is that first class 'advance' tickets are sometimes cheaper than standard class, so check both.

5. Re: Getting to Windermere from London on 26th October 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 29, 2014