We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Good morning

My son will be landing in London next week Monday, and on Tuesday he needs to travel from London to Windamere (with final destination being Far Sawrey). If our research is correct, he will catch a train from Euston Station?? Just wondering if we should book this in advance now, and if so, which website would I use so that we can pre-print the ticket here at home in Australia? Anything else he needs to know? Thanks!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

To emphasise - your son must have the credit card that was used to book the tickets, with him to collect the tickets. The name on the card is irrelevant.

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Yes thanks Bobelinks, he will have the card with him.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

That price sounds quite reasonable for a first class fare. Virgin trains look after you pretty well in first class. I'd go for it.

If he just turns up on the day to buy the ticket, it will be *considerably* more expensive.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
886 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

If you are prepared to look around for cheap fares, look at splitting the journey, Euston to Manchester and then Manchester to Windermere, sometimes comes out cheaper than the Euston to Windermere option (change at Manchester Piccadilly)

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

If you son is between the ages of 16 - 25 it might be worth looking at the 16 - 25 railcard which gives a third off fares. Could be useful if he is making a number of journeys www.16-25railcard.co.uk

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Hi all, just letting you know my son had a perfect, trouble-free journey from Euston station to far Sawrey! The Virgin booking process was easy, ticket collection easy, and the journey very comfortable, and easy changeover at Oxenholme.

My husband and I are now looking forward to doing the same trip in November when we go to visit him.

Thanks all!

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

It's great when people report back and let us know how they went on, few do. Glad to hear that your son had a trouble free trip.

18. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 05, 2014