We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Near Train Station in Windemere.....

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
970 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Near Train Station in Windemere.....

We will be visiting the Lake District in September and I would like suggestions for a hotel near enough to the train station that we could walk with luggage. Or will a taxi be available? I do not have any idea about distances in Windemere. We prefer a hotel to a B&B.

Thank you.

Jane

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel Near Train Station in Windemere.....

All hotels in Windermere or Bowness are less than 5 minutes in a taxi - there will be several waiting when your train comes in. None will cost more than £3/£4. If you are after enjoying the lake, some nice shops to wander arounrespite of restaurants within metres etc it's worth going a little further than walking from the station. The Macdonald Old England would be at the upper end of your budget but is in a great place with swimming pool etc

The Hideaway has a really good restaurant. About a 10 minute walk from the station and 1m1/2 from the lake. It's tucked away in a quiet area.

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
970 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel Near Train Station in Windemere.....

Thank you all for the suggestions

Louisiana
Level Contributor
48 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel Near Train Station in Windemere.....

Taxi fare from Windermere train station to Bowness-on-Windermere RCI timeshare property--any idea what the fare would be for one-way trip for minibus or people carrier for 8? Also, is there a taxi rank/stand located at the station or would we need to call for taxis on as-needed basis?

Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel Near Train Station in Windemere.....

The Hideaway Hotel is a lovely looking hotel and the reviews on trip advisor are excellent. It's in a quiet road but very convenient to the station.

The good thing about being near the station is that all the buses pick up from their to take you further afield into the National Park. Stagecoach is the service provider and they do special tickets for unlimited travel for 1 day or more. Buses are every 20 minutes on the main circuit via Bowness (the lake) to Grasmere. It's the 599 service. There are also other buses that would take you north to Keswick and beyond or to the Langdales, Hawkshead etc. You'll be able to pick up a brochure at the station with maps and timetables so you can plan your days out.

There are lots of restaurants in Windermere so there would be no problem in walking into the village from the Hideaway to try a different one every night if you wanted.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
48 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel Near Train Station in Windemere.....

Thanks for the info on Hideaway Hotel--we are trying to use RCI travel club points to stay at one of their resorts, though. My parents bought into this club a few years ago and have not managed to use it for much travel. I think it is time for them to get their money's worth out of the thing if possible! As for walking, my mom is not healthy enough for extended walks unfortunately. I am trying to eliminate as much extra walking for her as I can. We are planning to stick to vehicles as much as possible. I am still starting to research mileage from train stations to various RCI resorts in the area. I am hoping we can use buses or taxis to and from resort to train station. Worst-case scenario we rent a car to travel back and forth from resort to train station. I really do not want to drive my group all over UK, maybe just short distances if necessary. Thanks for your help1

16. Re: Hotel Near Train Station in Windemere.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 29, 2013