We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Misunderstanding the Star Rating System

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Misunderstanding the Star Rating System

I posted a comment over a year ago regarding the continuing misunderstanding of the UK Star Rating System, and to further demonstrate my point I have copied a review recently posted on the Windermere Hotel section.

What you will see is this reviewer commenting on decor and standards, explaining to the reader that her interpretation of the rating system is that the system is based on decor. It is not, it is based on facilities and services. All hotels rooms are judged on the same criteria whether 1 star or 5 star, and given a quality percentage for standard of decor and furnishing. I feel that this needs to be made clearer to the public who are currently being misled by the rating system.

“Below standard rooms”

Low Wood Hotel

SaraBelle_10 1 contribution North Yorkshire

Apr 4, 2010 | Trip type: Family 1person found this review helpfulWe recently decided to have a relaxing break in the Lakes after I had just had a baby on Christmas Eve. We had previously stayed in their sister hotel The Lancaster and thought it to be a lovely hotel and of a very good standard, so expectations for this hotel were high. All public areas were excellent and were definately of a 4 star standard. Unfortunately that could not be said for the rooms. We have 3 children so booked into a large family room which was on 2 floors. When we arrived the room was cold but upstairs was so hot the velux windows had to be opened this in turn made it colder downstairs were the children slept. (It was minus conditions at the time). On a night as the windows were open all we could here was the noise from the kitchens. The rooms decore was dated and grubby including the bathroom and evevn though clean it looked dirty. The rooms really let this hotel down and I would of rated them as that of a 2 star hotel. Unfortunately won't be staying at this hotel again unless the rooms are refurbished. Staff were excellent though.

My ratings for this hotel

Value Rooms Location Cleanliness Service Sleep QualityDate of stay March 2010

Visit was for Leisure

Traveled with Family with Young Children

Age group 35_49

Member since April 04, 2010

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend? No

This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

I welcome your comments and responses. I was told on my last post that everyone knew the difference between 1 and 5 star, but I feel that even the so called destination experts and industry professionals, don't have a clue.

1. Re: Misunderstanding the Star Rating System

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, October 06, 2010