We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windermere / Bowness without car for a week?

Scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Windermere / Bowness without car for a week?

Hi

Any hot tips for key things to do while based in Windermere - with children (young) for a week anyone? (Without a car)

Thanks

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windermere / Bowness without car for a week?

Hi, RIWTM. I would suggest that you take a couple of the free guided walks out of the Ambleside TI. The one we took was gentle enough even for young folks. Interesting and fun.

I think the World of Beatrix Potter is in Bowness (unless that was just during her centennial year, 2002). Your kids would probably enjoy that. If you get a chance take a bus or taxi to Beatrix' home, Hill Top, and compare her home with her drawings. My grandkids (5 and 8) love Potter. If you haven't already introduced your kids to her this is our chance.

You also could take a couple of tours with one of the local scenic touring companies. They make plenty of stops for photo ops.

Take advantage of your location on Lake Windermere, for boating, fishing and of course just splashing around on the waterfront.

Britfan

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Windermere / Bowness without car for a week?

Hi

We recently returned from a long weekend in Bowness and thoroughly enjoyed it. We travelled by train to Windermere then walked the mile or so down to Bowness. If your staying in Bowness (recommended) remember it's a bit of a haul back up so take the bus, they are very frequent, or indeed you can take the bus down to Bowness Your kids should enjoy the World of Beatrix Potter Experience in Bowness, come to think of it so will you. You'll also find the Windermere Steamboat Museum in Bowness. There's a Swallow and Amazons exhibition there and a model boat pond. Take the ferry/cruise to Lakeside. Here you'll find the Lakeside and Haverthwaite (steam) Railway and the Aquarium of the Lakes. Everyone should enjoy these. Or you can take the ferry to Waterhead for Ambleside. Take an open top bus ride alongside the lake. As soon as you get to Windermere you'll find loads of information on things to see and do. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Tony

Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windermere / Bowness without car for a week?

We used Mountain Goat tours during our stay in the Lake District. Small vans, and they picked us up at the B&B we were staying at.

The children might enjoyed the Aquarium of the Lakes there on Lake Windermere. IIRC, we had a boat trip/aquarium combo ticket.