We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Which Windermere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Hi,

My husband and I (late 20s) are looking to spend three nights in the Lake District at the beginning of August. I've been told that Windemere and Grasmere are nice villages and good spots to stay. We'd like to stay somewhere nice, within walking distance of the local restaurants and bars in either village.

Can anyone give me any recommendations?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
278 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Hi

We recently stayed at Ellerbrook House in Windermere. Very comfortable and very welcoming and the breakfast is first class , we will certainly go back there again. Just search on Google and you will find website.

Tim.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Hi

Have you found anywhere yet, it being nearly the beginning of August?

I too have stayed at EllaBrook and found it most welcoming, clean and friendly.

Just recently, I spent a wonderful couple of days at Kirkwood Guest House, between Windermere and Bowness so very easily walkable to each village for something to eat in the evening. Kirkwood is clean and Mags is a lovely host. The breakfasts are just right for setting you up for a day on the Fells.

There are lots of wonderful places in and around Windermere, it just depends what sort of accomodation you require.

Have a lovely trip - I'm going again next Saturday!

NS

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

i have stayed at the low wood in windermere, great food and has just had a refurb. right on lake windermere. its about 3 miles outside of windermere but has the advantage of free parking and great lake views. book the restaurant its lovely. The staff are excellent.

U.K.
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

My son goes to Windermere every year for a boating event and always stays at the Coppice guest house and raves about it. It is between Windermere and Bowness. He says that the owners always go out of their way to make him comfortable and especially recommends their breakfast. They have a website, which I think is www.thecoppice.co.uk

Kolkata
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

hi ,

just returned from the lake district a couple of weeks back . Stayed at The Angel inn in Bowness. Lovely hotel , very well done up . would recommend it highly.

Dublin
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

Hi,

Have booked the Archway and the Denehurst after reading great reviews of both on this site, so fingers crossed!

Now much research what to do and where to go...

Can anyone recommend nice pubs/restaurants in Windermere?

Madison, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1 post
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

I can't recommend highly enough Storrs Gate House in Bowness-on-Windermere. Take a look at its web site at http://www.storrsgatehouse.co.uk/. Rates are reasonable, and the proprietors, Shirley and Vince Byrne, couldn't be more capable and friendly.

For restaurants in Bowness-on-Winderemere: Nissi is quite good, but Jackson's is outstanding.

birmingham
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

Hi

There are lots of great B&B's and hotelsin the area - bit of a minefield really, depends what you like.

We live in Manchester and visit once a month for walking.

We've stayed at the punchbowl crosthwaite - superb but 15 min drive to restaurants and lake, gilpin lodge hotel about 8 mins by car from Bowness( also superb but a bit pricey) Lindeth Howe hotel ( bigger hotel in 7 acres ground - good food and a pool) and Lowfell and Storrs Gate House.

We prefer B&b as better value if you find a good one.

Lowfell probably has the edge over all of them, the location is great - a 5 min walk to village and lake - Storrs is about 15 min walk.

Lowfell in huge garden , Storrs on road, breakfast good in both.

Rooms in both lovely, we had big 6ft bed at Lowfell.

Lowfell is a family home and a B&B, Storrs is a guest house with more rooms.

Depends as I say, what you want.

Can't remember websites but if you google them you should find them.

Have fun.

We love the Lakes!

9. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 pm, September 04, 2009