We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year 2012

Which Keswick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
New Year 2012

Looking for some good advice on what Keswick is like at New Year. Hoping to visit with lots of family members of differing ages the last week in December/first week in January. Is Keswick 'open'? I.e. shops, pubs, leisure pool? Thanks in advance!

Edited: 1:50 pm, October 23, 2012
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year 2012

Yes it is " open"

Not sure about the leisure pool though.

Pubs, shops, restaurants, hotels all eager to serve you.

Lake walks and plenty of scenery to be enjoyed.

Weather permitting you might get onto the fells.

Just like summer but a bit colder and hopefully drier.

NYE/ Hogmanay

In the pubs Standing room only, just like all pubs throughout the land on NYE.

Get in early

Then bring in the New Year in the square alongside the Moot Hall

Watching local lads trying to climb to the top of a lamppost

Take a bottle of bubbly to share in the square

It isn't Traflagar Square nor Princes Street but its what you make it.

Edited: 2:08 pm, October 23, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year 2012

Thanks for your quick reply! I appreciate your help and advice. I've emailed the leisure pool directly, hoping for an answer.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
715 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year 2012

Things tend to quieten down very quickly after new tears day in the Lakes. We've spent new years week there twice in the last four years, and everything is open and busy up to New years day, after that its just you and the locals. Quite a lot of the B & B's, tea rooms etc close from early January to Mid February. Its the only time in the season they can do maintenance and have a holiday themselves.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year 2012

Thank you, i was concerned that might be the case.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year 2012

If you are planning on coming to Keswick I can assure you that everywhere will be open. Businesses know that a lot of holiday makers have booked in for the full week and plan for that as it doesn't go quite until the Saturday change over day after new year.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
586 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year 2012

Fully support TheSuggsmeister comments as another Keswick resident. Although one or two places will close for a couple of weeks AFTER the holidays the majority stay open. All the best cafes etc will have a well established local clientèle !

With plenty of winter walkers coming to the Northern Lakes throughout the winter, especially if it snows ,there is enough business to make it worth while staying open.

Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year 2012

The Christmas show is still on at the theatre untill 19th January!

8. Re: New Year 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 12, 2013