We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Derwentwater walk

UK
Level Contributor
958 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Derwentwater walk

We are planning a walk around Derwentwater this weekend. We're fit enough and have decent boots and warm, waterporof clothing but we're not experienced walkers and so want to plan it safely. We'd thought of using the launch for part of the way and walking the rest but I can't find any guide or map showing the full walking route, only smaller offshoot walks from the launch landings or maybe from one landing to another.

Ideally we'd like a route of about 3-5 hrs using the launch part of the way and walking where we can stay close to the lake (so we don't get lost !) So any advice please ?

Last time I was there the lake was frozen and the launch was cancelled, is it runing at the moment ?

Is there any decent walking guide I can either get on the www or to buy in Keswick ?

Thanks - Ole

York
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Derwentwater walk

Just use the 1:25000 OS or Harveys maps of the area, all rights of way are marked, or access the Country Walking magazine website where you can download walks for a small sum. Otherwise you will be spoilt for choice in Keswick with walking guides but most probably cover the high fells. Tourist Information probably have single walk leaflets. Most paths are well signposted, and in the Lakes, most are well worn and with the lake near to you it is unlikely you will get lost. I believe the launch is scheduled to operate all year, but as you say, wetaher permitting.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Derwentwater walk

There is a footpath all the way round Derwentwater that mostly stays fairly close to the lake shore except at the northern end. I think the eastern shore is pleasanter as it is away from the main road so would suggest heading out of Keswick along the old road/footpath to Portinscale and then work your way south on footpaths. At the bottom of the lake is a boardwalk across the marshes that brings you out on to the Borrowdale road near Lodore Falls. From Lodore you can walk back (I think there is a footpath off the road) or use the launch or the bus back to Keswick.

Get a map in keswick to keep track or where you are going!

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Derwentwater walk

Have a look at the following

http://www.keswick.org/walks.asp

wight-cam.co.uk/Catbells/HTML/2007Walks/0703…

You could do a whole circuit of the lake on foot in that time - its an easy flat walk all the way, approx 9 miles, and its hard to get lost, as the path is well worn and signed!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Derwentwater walk

Ole - hope you don't mind but I'm just highjacking your post.

Its years since I've done this walk and I'd like to do it again with friends who have a small child. Is the path round the lake suitable for a child's buggy?

Thank you

UK
Level Contributor
958 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Derwentwater walk

Honey,

No problem at all, the replies and links I got above are most helpful and I'm sure will be useful to yourself.

Many thanks Guys.

Ole

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Derwentwater walk

If you do need a map,use the OS map "The English Lakes OL4.This map gives you full walking route of Derwentwater.You can buy this map in most local hiking/walking shops,cost roughly £7.

As people have mentioned earlier the route you are planning is well signed and well worn pathways.

You may plan to walk "Catbells" and get a good view of Derwentwater.The "Catbells is also shown on OL4 map.It is a easy and pleasant route and has well worn pathways.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
331 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Derwentwater walk

Lots of tree roots in places but generally OK- depends how big the buggy wheels are- if it's not sturdy I wouldn't.

The south side is busier with people strolling along from the Theatre car park... you can avoid them by taking the steam launch to Lodore and walking the north side back to Keswick though the east end follows the road for a while away from the lake.

UK
Level Contributor
958 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Derwentwater walk

Many thanks for all the advice.

I made one bad mistake though, I should have taken more notice of Railenthusiast’s remark about the north end of the lake where you can’t progress along the lakeside, if you do you end up going in circles (and thanks to the passing couple who sent us on the right route – I think we must have had ‘LOST’ written across our foreheads !). So 1 hr after leaving Moot Hall we were just passing the Pencil Museum – Doh ! I should have invested the £7 in a map, but I got a little cocky.

After that the walk went well and the weather held off.

One thing about the Launch though, it’s £8.80 per adult, for that you can get on and off as you please but it’s a bit steep if you just want to use it for a couple of stops –or in our case it provided a good incentive to complete the circuit walking.

Ole

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Derwentwater walk

Glad you enjoyed it. At least you were only lost in a safe environment, and the weather has been good this weekend - yesterday was quite Spring-like!

10. Re: Derwentwater walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 16, 2009