We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Parking

Arrive to Hawkshead Car Park on 12/11/2012 at 16.44 to have meal at Queens Pub. Car park empty and completely dark. I put a valid ticket which was for the car park at Ambleside on the dash of my car. We went to the Queens and as they did not serve any meals until 18.00 hrs, we had a few drinks (My wife does not drink alcohol) and returned to the car at 17.57 hours. Just received Parking Fee today for £100.00. What a joke. Will never set in Hawkshead again. Over the years we have spent a lot of money in Gawkshead. My wife has spent a fortune in Poppi's.

54 replies to this topic
Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Parking

Best place to park....as you go out of Hawkshead back towards Ambleside (past Crfot camp site) continue round the left hand bend & there's a field on the right that's often open OR the school opens on a weekend (or is that Coniston?)!

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Parking

Its one thing to charge people on to public transport to clear the roads but to then increase the costs of said transport to a level dick turpin would be proud. Last time we had about 5-6 journeys on the buses, not far but we ended up spending £50-60 for two of us in a week.

Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Parking

You're right 'madmOOse' the local school in Hawkshead does offer parking out of school hours. There's an honesty box. We always park there.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Parking

Bought a Parking Ticket in Hawkshead car park on the 4th Jan.

On the 11th Jan received a penalty notice issued on the 10th Jan - who keeps tickets for that long - well luckily I did and so have proof I paid for the parking.

The really annoying thing is that the ticket machine is computerised and the ticket has part of my registration number on it. The parking notice came with photographs with number plate recognition.

So with all this computerisation how come they can't tie my ticket with number plate to my car.

Trading Standards say that there have been a number of complaints over this faulty system and the council are considering removing the machines.

In my opinion it is simply a scam and sharp practice.

My advice is to keep all parking ticket stubs for a month after use, I kept mine just over a week and it has saved me £60.

Bristol
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Parking

I totally agree! the car park massively expensive and over the top with the number plate recognition, threats of fines and double yellow lines everywhere in the village forcing you to use the car park.

I live in the lake district and it doesnt compare to other places. Keswick has lots of places you can park for free. Stavely has about the same number of shops and it doesn't charge to park there.

I wouldnt mind in the summer months when there are lots of tourists around and its a good money earner for the village, its good that it provides somewhere for the tourists to park. However in the winter when its deserted, parking should be free or at least cheaper! Lots of other places do cheap/easy parking until the weekend before easter.

I certainly wont be "popping" into Hawkshead again any time soon. There isn't enough there to make the car park fee worth it. I would urge the village to rethink its winter parking policy!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Parking

You can park at the school in Hawkshead at the weekends Their is an honesty box in the entrance to the playground suggesting two pounds per stay. A bargain I would suggest and the money goes into the school funds

UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Parking

I have read the above comments with interest. If this car park is operated by South Lakeland District Council then shame on them.

I visited Hawkshead again on 24th August, I have visited several times in the past.

I accidentally underpaid the parking fee by £1 and on realising my mistake I immediately paid for a further hour (this cost me £1.80). This camera system did not take this into consideration and I was therefore presented with a £100 parking fee.

Do you realise what sort of damage this creates?

I am a fan of Hawkshead but because of the ill-feeling that I now have towards the crazy (and very expensive) methods used in order to police these public accessed facilities, I too shall not return.

Ironically I commented to my wife that during the 2 daytime visits that we made to Hawkshead I spent £13.80 on parking in this very car park. Ridiculous!!!

The cliché, "cutting my nose off to spite my face" springs to mind but as I grow older I aim to continue to follow what my head tells me. Enough is enough!

If this is one of the very discreet methods that the Lake District Councils are trying in order to reduce the ever increasing tourist numbers visiting the Lakes then ..... well done, its certainly having an effect.!!

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Parking

the car park is operated by the Lake District National Park Authority, and yes it puts me off visiting Hawkshead every time ! (which is a shame because it's a nice little village)

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Parking

If the penalty notice was issued by Parking Eye it is not necessarily enforceable and easily challenged or just ignored - Google "parking eye ticket enforceable" and have a look at the MoneySavingExpert forum threads.

Also the BBC consumer affairs dept are looking for examples of parking scams.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Parking

I am posting this as a Hawkshead resident and business owner.

The car park in Hawkshead is owned by the Lake District National Park Authority, who are based at Murley Moss Business Park, Oxenholme Rd, Kendal; Telephone 015394 724555. They have contracted out enforcement control of the car park to a company called Parking Eye, based in Chorley. Residents and businesses based in Hawkshead have no control over, nor receive and benefit from, the parking arrangements in place with Parking Eye. On the event of receiving a ticket you may find it worthwhile to Google discussion forums, particularly pepipoo.com

The local community understand that the Parking Eye contract will not be renewed, and are pressing for the date of termination of contract to be brought forward. As mentioned above there is honesty box parking available at the local primary school at weekends and school holidays, and the primary school children benefit directly from any donations made.

Reply to: Parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hawkshead
More Hawkshead Topics