We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

I travel through the Lakes on a very regular basis.

Some of the best sausage in England is available in Cumbria.

Local butchers in Cockermouth , Keswick, the lamented Waberthwaite and Booths supermarket to name just a few , are championing the local sausage n many varieties not just the Classic Cumberland.

My current favourite is the Premier Cumberland from Tebay Motorway Services.

I often stop for a cuppa and a breakfast or a breakfast bap/bun.

I am becoming increasingly disappointed at the quality of the sausages served up with the Full English or in the bap. In some cafes.

It isn't down to a pure financial decision, as some of the places I am referring to charge more than average yet think its ok to serve up the pappy almost meatless frozen ( probably) bulk catering Imposters for sausage.

Can I make a plea for the cafe proprietors to start championing the Cumbrian sausage and the Cumberland sausage , also the fine Westmorland variety from Booths.

They are plentiful, they are magnificently meaty, 90% pork or thereabouts they are great.

Why are we getting palmed off with inferior bangers in the home of some fantastic sausage.

Sacrilege.

Edited: 5:09 pm, May 04, 2013
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,048 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

Friends of friends of ours set up a pop-up Sunday café in a local shop in Bethnal Green and used really good ingredients.

They charged £9.00. Virtually everyone though that was too much to pay for a cooked breakfast.

E Pellicci charges £5.50.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

Dzug

My point is

For four pounds you should get good and proper sausage.

Four pounds is plenty

Cheap sausage in a cheap bun= £2 or £2.50

I am simply saying for four quid you should expect proper sausage.

Wire wiper

I think that confirms some of the earlier posts

That people don't expect much so aren't prepared to pay much

Nine pounds is reasonable for an evening meal consisting of just three perhaps four ingredients cooked in a microwave

A proper full English involves cooking at least five separate ingredients in five separate methods

So why expect to pay less for

Bacon, black pudding, sausage, egg, beans, mushrooms and a couple of slices of toast with a mug of tea thrown in

Than you would

For a handful of frozen chips, a couple of spoonfuls of frozen garden peas and a bit of something, gammon steak, or a bit of chicken in a sauce on the side

Plus you have to pay on top for a drink

Full English is still a great value meal

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

What 'should' be rarely coincides with what exists

Why not start one? It's a very easy business to start up in - and very easy to go bust in too.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
312 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

tbh I prefer local produce to high end quality, I usually find locally produced produce is top quality.

Ulverston, England...
Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

Firstly forget about Waberthwaite sausage and, if you want to eat the real deal, try Bewley's

http://uktv.co.uk/food/outlet/aid/620343

It is the sausage of choice in Cumbria, especially west Cumbria. You will also find it in Booths. Secondly try the Brown Cow at Waberthwaite, on the main road, they do great Cumberland sausage they use Bewley. Many of the other pubs around use it too. However if you are in Windermere or Ambleside you probably won't get it there because it is not cheap and their customers are passing through tourists, Iam not saying all of them will be like that of course. I would also recommend stopping off in one of the small towns and buying some from the butchers, most of the really good butchers produce their own. Broughton's butcher, Tyson's is also very good. And I have never had a bad one from Millom butcher.

Cumberland sausage is a very contentious issue in Cumbria because every Cumbrian knows which is best, and few agree.

Edited: 11:39 am, June 05, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

Ah the Brown Cow.

Not been in for a couple of years

I had the best gammon/ Cumberland Ham , very tasty full of flavour and not at all watery.

Is it still as good these days?

Must make my way over there next time.

Ulverston, England...
Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

Absolutely! They do a mean garlic mushrooms which I have as a main but my daughter always has the Cumberland sausage baguette and chips, very good chips and you used to get a choice of Bewley's or Waberthwaite's (they used to joke locals had Bewley's and tourists had Waberthwaite, if you asked nicely they would do half and half) They also do other great Cumbrian food well and not expensive at all. They run a lot of mini beer fest etc.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

They can and do serve good sausage

@heath56

Great recommendation for the Two Sisters Cafe

I called in last Saturday, I remembered you mentioning this place.

Very close to the main road , so no lengthy detour, ample parking so no hassle of trying to park in town

Satnav: LA8 8 QJ

You were spot on,

Large cup of good coffee and good quality bacon and sausage served in really good buns.

Relaxing quiet place to break a journey

Delicious looking cakes too but didnt try those- yet

Will now be my drop in of choice whenever I drive to the Lakes.

Thanks for the tip

http://www.plumgarths.co.uk/cafe/

Edited: 2:05 am, August 07, 2013
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

This is a problem in London also,I hate the bland frozen economy sausages they seem to serve in every cafe,there should be a serious national campaign about it,it is ruining the cafe breakfast experience

20. Re: Why can't Lake District Cafes serve really good sausage.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Ambleside