We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I buy a sim card in Ambleside?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
752 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Can I buy a sim card in Ambleside?

I am coming to Ambleside for 8 days from Friday, 1st February. Could you tell me if I will be able to buy a sim card there and in which shop/s? I live in Spain and will be flying over on that day and then travelling by train to Windermere and then by bus or taxi to Ambleside.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Spain
Spain
Europe
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I buy a sim card in Ambleside?

I cannot give you a specific answer but given that SIM cards are sold in corner shops, supermarkets and mobile phone shops I would have thought you would have an excellent chance to buy one.

You could probably buy one at the airport too.

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I buy a sim card in Ambleside?

I think Tescos will sell them. It's in the centre of town and open 6am till 11pm most days

Lake District...
Level Contributor
646 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I buy a sim card in Ambleside?

Many newsagents, corner shops sell PAYG sims some for as little as 99p. ( They get them provided free)

You then need to put some credit on them usually in £5 blocks

Worth checking which network works best for where you will want to use the phone !

If you identify the network you want you can get them free direct from the network operator although there may be an issue with a non-UK address.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
752 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I buy a sim card in Ambleside?

In case anyone has the same problem as I had, I will just summarize by saying that Tesco Express and the Spar supermarket both had sim cards when I visited Ambleside. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Mentioned in this post
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I buy a sim card in Ambleside?

Thanks for letting us know. I've added a Top Question as I's sure this has been asked before. I think the nearest actual mobile phone shops are Windermere or Kendal?

Mentioned in this post
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Kendal
Kendal
Lake District, UK
Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I buy a sim card in Ambleside?

Nearest phone shops are all in Kendal town centre.

Mentioned in this post
Kendal
Kendal
Lake District, UK
7. Re: Can I buy a sim card in Ambleside?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Ambleside
Recent Conversations