We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend away, help please?

Which Ambleside hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weekend away, help please?

Hi every one, we will be going for weekend away in lake district , we will be staying at Ambelside area, since this is our first visit , we would like to explore as much as possible the country side by car, has any one got any suggestions ? considering we have roughly one and half day.

thanks for your help

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend away, help please?

Hi

We had a lovely weekend over Easter staying in Ambleside.

I would suggest you do the Cruise/Walk tour around the lake. It consists of a 15 minute cruse from Ambleside to Wray castle Jetty. You then take an easy well signposted 4 mile (or so) walk on the left bank of the Lake to the Ferry House. The scenery and views of the lake are magnificent on the Walk. You then catch the boat to Bowness which is a pretty little town/village on the right bank of the Lake. Lots of restaurants to have lunch/coffee/cakes/pub and do a bit of shopping. Then catch the boat back to Ambleside. A day ticket is £9 so pretty reasonable and pretty much fills a whole day.

Link to the boat with more info: windermere-lakecruises.co.uk/…

There lots of good restaurants in Ambleside. It may not be of interest but if you Vegetarian I can definitely recommend Zeffirellis and Fellinis. Both restaurants are very popular attracting vegetarian and non-veggies and I would recommend booking. http://www.zeffirellis.com/

The second day the weather was awful so we drove around leaving Amble Side to Hawks Head and Keswick. We crossed the Lake using the Ferry in Bowness. Get some Ginger Bread from the Traditional Ginger Bread Shop in Grasmere. It’s the best I have ever tasted. www.grasmeregingerbread.co.uk/index.htm

There is supposed to be a really good walk from Ambleside to the waterfall. You could hire a bike to get there. Everyone in Ambleside seems to know about the waterfall so if you ask someone they will help you out.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend away, help please?

When you say you want to explore by car, does that mean you're mainly looking for scenic driving tours, or are you looking for somewhere nice you could drive to where you could get your hiking boots on and see the scenery on foot? Personally, I think you get to see the Lake District much better on foot, but of course that's not everyone's cup of tea, and the advantage of doing a driving tour is that you get to see more areas of the Lake District.

Either way, you'll have many possibilities!

There have been many threads on this forum with suggestions for both good walks and exciting driving tours, so perusing the forum should give you a few ideas. If you can be more specific about your requirements (eg what kind of walking you'd want to do, if indeed you want to do any at all, whether you're comfortable driving over narrow and windy mountain passes), then we can try to give you some better customised suggestions.

3. Re: weekend away, help please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 08, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Ambleside