We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

keswick or ambleside

Which Ambleside hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
keswick or ambleside

hi everyone, can anyone tell me which is the best place for me to stay keswick or ambleside, i like interesting walks and places to visit in the day and fairly lively at night with plenty of friendly pubs and restaurants with good food. your recommendations will be appreciated very much thank you. gail

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: keswick or ambleside

Either town would be fine.

Both towns are surrounded by hills that you could walk direct from the town without needing to get a bus or coach.

I guess Keswick may shade it for being lively at night. Last time I was there I saw a couple of groups who had come away on a stag weekend and another group on a rugby trip weekend and there were plenty of bars for them to visit in the evening.

Edited: 12:05 pm, December 28, 2011
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: keswick or ambleside

Keswick

Great pubs

Very close together and you are over towards the western side

If you can try to go the extra 25 miles and visit Whitehaven a Georgian port on the West Coast

So often people come up to the lakes and venture no further than Windermere, Bowness or Ambleside and think they have been to the Lakes.

These places are very nice but there is more hence my recommendation for Keswick from which you can explore the Western Fells, Borrowdale. There is nice walking up at Watendlath in the Borrowdale valley and you can see the Bowder Stone in the same trip. The story goes that the Bowder stone was deposited by a glacier or rolled down he mountain an is now precariously and perfectly balanced. You can hake hands underneath it with someone on the other side and climb upon it.

In Whitehaven you can explore the harbour, visit the Beacon with bistro attached . Whitehaven w the last lace hat an invasion of England occurred when the Americans came ashore.I won't spoil he Tory in case you go. If you do pop into the Rum Story a museum hat describes Whitehavens links with the West Indies -and involvement in the slave trade and more(see he reviews on TA) if you like rum then you will enjoy a tot of Jeffersons Rum which is sold in the Rum story shop

Zest is a great place for food on the harbour

After your day in Whitehaven it is just a half hour back to Keswick and your great night life in the pubby pubs.

I believe that some parts of the Western Lakes are more rugged and less visited than the more picturesque central lakes

You can make your way quite easily to Buttermere, Crummock and take a walk(.) up Melbreak if you are up for a steep climb or something more gentle round the lakes. Try the Fish at Buttermere or if you can find it the Kirkstile near Loweswater. Off the beaten track but that ids the beauty of Keswick you will see much more than those who slam on the brakes at he first Lake they see after leaving the M6

BTW thee is only one lake in the Lake District

Any guesses anyone?

Edited: 12:32 pm, December 28, 2011
Solihull
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: keswick or ambleside

>>>BTW there is only one lake in the Lake District

Most of us dont need to guess as this is one of those things you learn after reading any introduction to the Lake District.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: keswick or ambleside

Either is fine. And they're only half an hour apart anyway. There are easy and moderate walks near both areas. For restaurants you will have a larger choice around Windermere and Ambleside. If it's pure walking and scenery you want then Keswick is probably better. If you want more variety then the central area around Ambleside will probably be better. There are good pubs in both areas. Tell us more about the walking you want to do - is it on the flat or do you want to go uphill? How far do you want to walk in terms of time?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: keswick or ambleside

Well if you don't need to guess then tell us

I was just adding a bit of levity no need to be grouchy old boy

I take it that you would prefer more difficult questions?

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: keswick or ambleside

I think either would fit your requirements. Maybe go for whichever one you can find the best deal on accommodation?

But I'd pretty much echo what pepperwhitemini said: Ambleside is probably better for restaurants, and Keswick is better for walking. But both towns are perfectly adequate on both counts.

One other thing to bear in mind is that Ambleside is a bit more touristy than Keswick, although Keswick can hardly claim to be a quiet little unspoiled town that no-one else knows about, especially in summer.

There are of course plenty of other places to stay in the Lake District, but if you're looking for a town with a good choice of restaurants and pubs, then Ambleside and Keswick are certainly the obvious choices.

BTW, the only lake in the Lake District is of course Bassenthwaite Lake, as any fule kno.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: keswick or ambleside

hi pepperwhitemini, thank you for your reply, i only intend to walk about 10 miles each day mainly for sightseeing. can someone please tell me what BTW is as i am new to the lake district, many thanks all for helping me. Gail C

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: keswick or ambleside

Btw is by the way

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
330 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: keswick or ambleside

Gail,

If you type into the 'search' for either Keswick or Ambleside, you will get thousands of really useful posts about both places.

Lueca's post about Whitehaven is interesting- my wife's from Workington and the West Cumbrian coast isn't one noted for it's tourism, he's right about the Georgian Square in Whitehaven but it doesn't get much press and wouldn't need a whole day. Some good forestry walks around Whinlater Visitor Centre [which has a great aerial walkway if you can stand heights!].

There is a consensus that Keswick gets fewer day-trippers than Ambleside but as a first visit either will be a pleasant change.

Have a great time- if you can walk 10 miles a day easily you'll love it wherever you go. If you take a car, visit Blackwells if you get the chance, a few miles from Bowness and Windermere.

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: keswick or ambleside

BTW thee is only one lake in the Lake District

---

Yes, we know. That question stopped being clever about 20 years ago

Get answers to your questions about Ambleside