We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in the evening

Ely, UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out in the evening

Although familiar with the Lakes I have never stayed in Ambleside before or eaten there in the evening. Usually we opt for the more isolated destinations. I would love to hear reople's favourite eating places at both ends of the prices scale within walking distance of the centre. Thanks.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out in the evening

Hi

Have a look at www.zeffirellis.com for a great evening out.

M

Manchester
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out in the evening

Lucy's On A Plate in Ambleside, excellent food and Lucy herself is the perfect hostess!!

http://www.lucysofambleside.co.uk/

Braintree
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out in the evening

I'd agree, Zeffirellis is good and the meal / cinema deal is excellent value. Would suggest you book thou.

One of our favorites is the Glass House been going there for years. The fillet steak is very good. Relaxed and very friendly atmosphere

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out in the evening

The Glass House is fantastic - whatever Gordon Ramsey says the Talagio Risotto with Pomegranate is superb not pretentious!!

Also good is the Thai restaurant in the old Court Building, near the Salutation.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
428 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out in the evening

We have just come back from a week in Bowness/Ambleside. We went to Lucys on A Plate for lunch and were impressed with the general atmosphere, menu choice and service (although perhaps a bit pricey). We visted Lucys 4 one evening just for a drink and would reccommend the back bar if you fancy a bottle of red and some tapas. The cheesy chips looked well lovely! Other places which looked good were the Priesthole and Stampers right opposite. I think you will be spoilt for choice if you are visiting. The restaurant at Zeifferellis looked very classy. Don't recommend the Greek Restaurant in Bowness at all. For drinks I suggest you try the Unicorn and The Golden Rule (up on the road behind the Tourist Info) they are both good friendly boozers. The Wateredge Inn is also very welcoming although initially i thought it looked a bit like a motorway service station (contempory style).

West Mids
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out in the evening

We stayed a week in Ambleside in August. The visitor's book in our cottage recommended Lucy's on a Plate over and over again. We tried it early in the week and were so impressed we went back again on our last night. It is in the centre - you'll find it easily when wandering around.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out in the evening

For good plain cooking and large portions try The Queens hotel in the centre of Ambleside.

Leeds
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out in the evening

Can thoroughly recommend Stampers. My husband and I had a lovely meal there, excellent quality at a reasonable price.

Cumbria
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out in the evening

Lucys on a plate is probably the best place to eat in Ambleside. If you want something different then the Thai Restaurant is fantastic. Was dissapointed with the glass house, the food was bland and it was too expensive.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating out in the evening

Lucy's is very nice but the service is not particulary good. If you fancy a Chinese, Jade Garden is excellent. For bar meals, the Salutation Hotel is highly recommended. Stampers always gets good reviews but I've never been myself.

Get answers to your questions about Ambleside