We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March weather in Lake District???

Vacaville, Calif
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
March weather in Lake District???

I can get GREAT airfare to England IF we travel by 3/25.

For our next trip, we've always planned to head north to York and then on to the Lake District. Would such a trip be just plain stupid to do the last week of March/first week of April?

We're traveling with 2 kids (ages 11 & 14).

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March weather in Lake District???

Nothing stupid about your plans at all.

But no-one can answer your question about the weather at that time of year. You might strike it lucky and get some beautiful mild and sunny Spring weather, or you might get rain, wind, cold temperatures etc. The danger of deep snow should have passed, although it will remain on the high ground in the Lakes.

The Lake District definitely gets more rainfall than many other areas. By the way, I was there last weekend in a T shirt and sun block, it was so warm!

You have more chance of better weather later on in the year of course. But if you've got the chance of low airfare I'd be seriously tempted! You'd be very unlucky to have bad weather all your trip - so do the outdoor stuff on the nice days and the indoor stuff on the not so nice ones!

However, a practical issue about your trip - it falls during the Easter holidays for the UK of course so everything will be busier than normal. So if you are thinking about maybe renting a cottage for a few days in Yorkshire or the Lakes then I wouldn't waste much time - many will be already booked up.

Let me know if you need any more help.

M

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: March weather in Lake District???

It'll probably rain, it'll probably be windy, it may be warm, it may snow.

Or perhaps not

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: March weather in Lake District???

Hi,

We went there in March this year and we were very luck. It was dry, but there was settled snow there by the time we got there and it was magical !

Look at the forum 'spring'06 in the lake disrtrict' and yoy will gets a lot of useful information there.

TC

Vacaville, Calif
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March weather in Lake District???

Well, yeah, the weather is always unpredictable, but I was horrified at the thought of showing up and getting the reaction everywhere I went of, "EVERYONE knows that you NEVER come this far north this early in the year." (Once planned a trip to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon -- and back out, of course -- in July . . . the experience still haunts me!)

So, thanks for the input. Sounds like it is definitely do-able. Although the news about it being a holiday for the UK is a drag. Our schools are out the week of the 9th- 13th.

I think we'll go for it. The airfare is SO LOW: I can take the whole family, tax included, nonstop from Calif. for only $1800. (Tried to take the same trip last year and airfare would've been $4000.)

We're going to spend the first week in York so even if it rains, we'll still have plenty of things to do. Besides, if there's still a bit of snow lingering, it'll be a treat for the kids. Even though we live within 2 hours of Tahoe, my kids have only seen snow once. Might get lucky too, I've been to England twice in April/May and both times came home with a sunburn.

Thanks so much . . . and any info on "Must See's" for Lake District or York (or points in-between) would be welcome.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March weather in Lake District???

Don't worry about the 'so far north' stuff - you aren't actually THAT far north. I was born in the south east of England and now live in North Yorkshire. I experienced more snow and worse weather in the south than I've ever had living 16 years in Yorkshire, although I don't live on high ground. You will be fine!

York has many attractions - your children would enjoy walking along the ancient walls, maybe some of the museums, shopping in the Shambles, a boat trip or a Ghost walk in the evening?

www.visityork.org

Absolute must sees for York and surrounding area -

1) York Minster

2) National Railway Museum (free entry, massive, wonderful even for those who 'don't like trains)

www.nrm.org.uk

3) Castle Howard (think house is 'put to bed' for the winter but re-opens at Easter)

www.castlehoward.co.uk

4) Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Gardens (World Heritage site, open all year)

www.fountainsabbey.org.uk

5) The Yorkshire Dales

www.yorkshiredales.org.uk

6) The North Yorkshire coast - Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay.

www.whitby.co.uk

www.robin-hoods-bay.co.uk

M

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March weather in Lake District???

Hi,

I live in the heart of the Lake District. The weather is very unpredictable around here at the best of times. This year the weather was fine but it will never be shorts and t-shirts weather for the times you're looking to travel, if that matters. You'd be very lucky to experience no rain what so ever during your trip and there is the potential it could rain solid! The wettest place in the British Isles is an area located in the Lake District! If you need anymore advice please ask.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March weather in Lake District???

Chances are it will be wet, thats how the lakes got there :-)

You'd be very unlucky to get bad snow but its possible (OTOH with our recent weather its more likely to be be 70 deg F.)

8. Re: March weather in Lake District???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 24, 2009