We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few more things....

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
281 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Few more things....

I am interested visiting Ashness bridge enroute from Keswick to Borrowdale and going further to Watendlath. Also to Is this a walking route or can it be accessed by road?

Where exactly is Surprize view?

How can I reach Hause point by road for a view over Crummock water?

Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Ashness Bridge
Ashness Bridge
145 Reviews
Keswick, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Borrowdale
Borrowdale
Keswick, UK
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few more things....

There is a Surprise View parking area for access to Hathersage Moor in the Peak District. It's the only one I know of.

The best thing for getting around in the Lakes is the 4 Ordnance Survey maps (1:25,000 scale). They show everything, even details like Ashness Bridge, footpaths, names of roads, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Ashness Bridge
Ashness Bridge
145 Reviews
Keswick, UK
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
281 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few more things....

ok. i will get one.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few more things....

Not sure about Hause Point. Hause Gate has a splendid view of Derwentwater and is walk #19 of (Alfred) Wainwright on the Lakeland Mountain Passes. You may be able to find this book at your library, or the compendium (with Fellwalking with Wainwright) called Wainwright's Lakeland. There are about 20 references to Borrowdale in the index plus half a dozen references to Crummock Water and 4 to Watendlath. Not Ashness Bridge, however. I'd be happy to give you some details of these walks from the book if you want. Wainwright's writing makes me drool it's so beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Derwentwater
Derwentwater
2,387 Reviews
Keswick, UK
The Wainwright
The Wainwright
632 Reviews
Keswick, UK
Lakeland
Lakeland
262 Reviews
Windermere, UK
Borrowdale
Borrowdale
Keswick, UK
Ashness Bridge
Ashness Bridge
145 Reviews
Keswick, UK
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few more things....

Of the 4 Lake District maps, OL4 (NW Lakes) has everything that you're interested in, including Crummock Water.

I think perhaps Coledale Hause is what you're referencing, regarding Hause point. It's on the same map. I don't see any viewpoints on the map, but Wainwright notes that there are excellent views further down toward Crummock Water. Coledale Hause is actually a saddle-like place where 4 paths converge. No road or car track of any kind there.

Wainwright, walking from Coledale Hause down to Crummock Water, states:

"As height is lost, . . . the stream and the path run close together and emerge in a rocky passage at the exit to the gill; immediately a beautiful prospect is revealed as an easy slope goes down to the road at Lanthwaite Green. The formidable slopes of Grasmoor fall away abruptly to permit a view of the Buttermere valley with the High Stile ridge supreme. . . a stretch of Crummock Water also being seen.

"The whole scene is exquisite and becomes more so on close acquaintance . . . this loveliest part of Lakeland . . . a delightful journey in scenery of superlative beauty."

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Coledale Inn
Coledale Inn
303 Reviews
Braithwaite, UK
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Lakeland
Lakeland
262 Reviews
Windermere, UK
Reading,England
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Few more things....

To answer your first questions, if you carry on up the road over Ashness Bridge you come to a car park in a wood, if you walk a few yards towards Derwent Water you get a 'surprise view'. Continue up the road to reach Watendlath, you can walk along a path to the right of the road.

Mentioned in this post
Ashness Bridge
Ashness Bridge
145 Reviews
Keswick, UK
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
281 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few more things....

Hey thanks everyone. Cant wait to start the journey tomorrow!! Thanks britfan. I shall check Coledale Hause if possible.

Mentioned in this post
Coledale Inn
Coledale Inn
303 Reviews
Braithwaite, UK
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few more things....

Have a great holiday and give us a report, would you?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
281 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few more things....

had a fantastic time ppl!!!! posted a report as in a new topic- 'had a great trip!' thanks again. cheshire cat you were so right!!! u cant go wrong in lake district. Its beautiful everywhere!

9. Re: Few more things....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:37 am, August 15, 2009