We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where To Stay

Stafford, England...
Level Contributor
286 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where To Stay

Hello all!

I am planning a night in the lake district, I know its not easy as there are lots of nice places there but any recommendations where to stay? And where not to stay, my budget is approx £70 for the night, Thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where To Stay

A good bed and breakfast in Keswick town centre

There are several in the streets adjacent to the town centre .

Ease of walking to the lake, Moot Hall marketplace, pubs, restaurants and the local fells.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186327-c2-Keswick_…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where To Stay

Do you have a car? If yes, you can pretty much stay anywhere. A lot depends on your interests. If fell-walking is your thing then Keswick and the mid-belt around Ambleside offer excellent access to some great fells. If you're more interested in easy lake-level walks then Grasmere, Rydal and Buttermere are very good. There are also very good lake level walks at Ullswater and around Derwentwater too. If you enjoy driving, Ambleside offers good access to the best passes with another bonus and that is at the end of the road of the really fun one (Hardknott) you are only about 15 minutes from the deepest lake and highest mountain.

Stafford, England...
Level Contributor
286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where To Stay

Hello, Thanks for the respnses, i am mainly going for the walks in the fells etc, i am interested to know if there is currently snow on the fells? as it would be nice to go for a walk with snow around, thanks... i would ideally like to walk straight out and go for a walk up a mountain side etc... thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where To Stay

If you don't want to stay in a town but in the countryside

Then Buttermere might suit you

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g668109-Buttermere_…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g668109-…

lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/planyourvisit/t…

Limited choice of accomodation though.

Other options

The Wasdale Head Inn

Is really close to Great Gable and Scafell, but may be more than you want to pay.

The King George is a nice old pub and is close to Eskdale/Wasdale

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g499540-d5683…

The Woolpack is situated on a fell side .

http://www.woolpack.co.uk/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g499537-d5683…

Edited: 7:34 am, February 07, 2014
Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where To Stay

>> i am interested to know if there is currently snow on the fells?<<

Check the sites below for daily updated weather forecasts and felltop conditions.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/areas.php

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/

Please bear in mind this proviso from the weatherline service if you are planning any high-level walks:

"Full winter clothing and footwear are essential for anyone venturing onto the fells. For those going onto steep or technical ground, an ice axe and crampons are also essential."

Edited: 8:50 am, February 07, 2014
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where To Stay

You are only staying one night yet say you want to do some "walks in the fells".

So does that mean you will travel up one day, do a walk in the afternoon, stay the night, do a walk the next morning, then travel back home in the afternoon?

If so then you are really only going to be able to do two half day walks. This means getting high enough for snow may be difficult.

Are you a regular walker, do you have the right equipment (boots, anorak, maps etc) ?

The hills can be dangerous any time of the year, but even more so in winter and death on the fells in the Lake District happen most years.

Stafford, England...
Level Contributor
286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where To Stay

Yes my intial plan, was to travel up monday morning stay monday night and come back tuesday..., I am not an experienced mountain walker by any means however I do alot of hill walking and mountain biking so experienced regarding being out in the sticks, depending on how high snow level is, dont know wether I will be able to acheive it due to time and no experience of the walks its self...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where To Stay

If you are not experienced in fell walking in the snow I would very careful and I can't stress this enough. You will need more clothing and equipment than you think. It is likely that you will encounter a fair but of ice and all it will take is one slip and you could be in trouble very quickly. Many of the fells have wet and sometimes boggy bits and these must be treated with respect.

I would check the mountain weather service (MWIS) and also check the website of Ambleside mountain rescue to get yourself familiar with the kind of stuff they have to deal with.

I hope I'm not scaring you! Just advising you to be careful. There are walks in the lake district that are very treacherous and lead to fatalities every year.

The weather can change from one extreme to another in as little as 20 minutes. In fact only two weeks ago on the tv they showed a webcam view overlooking Windermere and in the space of a few minutes it went from bright and sunny to dark with heavy rain.

As they say, forewarned is forearmed.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where To Stay

I've been walking in the Lakes for over twenty years all year round and we still get caught out occasionally. A couple of years ago we got caught in a white-out on the summit of High street and instead of returning to Mardale as planned we ended up in Upper Kentmere. As the light was fading and the mist was well down the only option we had was to trudge down to Kentmere village in the dark and book into a B&B for the night.

Some photos from that walk below:

sharpedge.zxq.net/mardale_04_02_12/index.htm

If you're not experienced in winter walking I'd advise you to steer well clear of the higher fells and most certainly don't go above the snow line.

10. Re: Where To Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, February 09, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Lake District