We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to lake district - keswick

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
driving to lake district - keswick

I will be travelling to keswick tomorrow to spend 3 nights in a campsite. Google maps offers 3 routes travelling from Lincolnshire all around same times (3 hrs 20 ish). I route is m62 and other 2 are a roads. Not sure wot the best route to take is. Any advice? Will need to stop as with kids.

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to lake district - keswick

I would personally choose the M62 then up the M6 to Penrith unless you will be on the M62 at rush hour when it is always clogged with traffic.

The A1 and A66 are mostly dual carriageway and are fine to drive but the A66 can be a bit dodgy in bad weather.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to lake district - keswick

M62 and M6 for me if I had kids because of service stations. Otherwise A1 and A66 as it is a nicer drive

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
774 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to lake district - keswick

A1 & A66 every time unless its midwinter and snowing. Apart from a few short single carriageway sections on the A66 its at least dual carriageway all the way to Penrith, plus the North Yorkshire scenery is far better than the M62 and edge of Manchester. I've tried the alternatives of M6 and various other roads to cross over the Pennines over the years but always come back to the A66 as the most reliable. Travelling from Lincolnshire your most convenient stops would either be wetherby services or Scotch corner.

Edited: 4:36 am, August 18, 2013
Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to lake district - keswick

M62/M6 to Penrith and follow sign to Keswick--quickest and great for kids if you require to stop--Enjoy a beautiful place.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to lake district - keswick

If you do decide to take The M62 route, the route around Manchester will be M62 - M60 (W) - M61 - M6.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to lake district - keswick

We're in N Lincs and always do A1 to Scotch Corner then A66. Depending how far you can get along the A1 without stopping there are a couple of Little Chefs on the A1 and the Scotch Corner service area. The A66 has a couple of shopping/café type places to stop, and there are lay bys (although not the quietist of places!) at frequent intervals. It's a nice run.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
638 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to lake district - keswick

I always end up using the A1 and A66 when going south down the east side of the country.

It is straight forward, the A66 is scenic and being less motorway a few more options to divert if there are traffic problems.

However the M6 North of Preston has good scenery and is very quiet. Think about coming off the M6 onto the A591 ( Windermere) for the final section to Keswick for a good view of a few Lakes and Fells - can be slow but really not much in it.

8. Re: driving to lake district - keswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 20, 2014
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor