We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I book campsite or just go and see what happens?

Devon
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Should I book campsite or just go and see what happens?

I can't decide where to go and have never been to the Lake District before. Buttermere, Keswick, Great Langdale? We plan on camping in a small tent with a small dog. We want a small quiet campsite. I know if we don't book, we may go to a site and it will be full but I also know at least in other parts of the country that there are many campsites that don't have a website so you can probably just show up. My experience has been that those with websites are often busier and thus noisier. I can't stand music at a campsite (from the US and use to very primative camping and backpacking). But I also know that if I don't book that it will probably take extra time to find a campsite. Any suggestions as to book or not? Campsite recommendations? Thanks!

Chester
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I book campsite or just go and see what happens?

Hi,

I don't know if you should book or not and I don't do camping but a few places I would recommend for location are Wasdale Head with the National Trust or The Wasdale Head Inn.

Sykes farm at Buttermere.

The above locations have a pub within a few min walk.

Hollows farm at Grange in Borrowdale.

I don't know the facilities, they just look like fields in very good location.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I book campsite or just go and see what happens?

See www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/calcdist.asp if you haven't already

You don't say when you're going. If it's weekends in July & August, then yes, I'd book. If it's weekdays in school term time, then there's no need.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
733 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I book campsite or just go and see what happens?

Small tent, small dog = will find a place somewhere. There's quite a few basic campsites along borrowdale, you'll be ok. Stonethwaite, seathwaite, syke farm at buttermere, two between rosthwaite and seatoller. There may be more.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
578 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I book campsite or just go and see what happens?

Depends on the time of year that you're camping...if in the 6 week summer holiday period, then i would recommend booking, if not in the 6 week summer hol, then you could PROBABLY get away with it.

I camp at Hawkshead, and even though the weather was awful last year (last week July/1st week of August) and at the end of the 1st week we were even thinking of coming home (having booked AND paid for the whole 2 weeks) we stuck it out, and the campsite was fully booked the whole period! They were turning people away. Most campsites you'll find will have a "no noise" policy after either (between) 22:30-23:00, and if there is "unacceptable" noise to you before this time, the site owners won't do anything.

We had this at Hawkshead last year, both myself & husband complained about music being played loud from 1 particular tent at 10 at night (our girls were 3 & 7 then) and they were being kept awake by this couple. The site said there wasn't anything they could do because their quiet policy (I think) is no noise after 11. ANYWAY, there must have been other complaints & so they were paid a visit, it was the best entertainment on a campsite! The warden politley asked them to turn the music down, campers "no problem", warden "thanks" and walked round the back of the tent & stood there for 5 mins, campers chuntered & carried on, and they turned the music up! Warden left it another few mins, then took offence at the chuntering & abuse that the occupant of the tent was giving him "behind his back"! and so went back and started telling them to turn it off & get off the site there and then! They promptly told the warden that there was no possibile way they could do this, as they'd both had a drink and where were they going to go at 10/11o'clock at night, to which the warden replied, that isn't my problem! He relented and let them stay the night, but told them to pack up 1st thing and go! My DH & I were at this point ROFL and enjoying the entertainment! They didn't half carry on between themselves after the warden left!

So what I'm saying is that someone somewhere will spoil things, but on general stick to either smaller sites OR look at Low Wray Campsite, this is quite a sprawling site, with not that many flat pitches, but with having a small tent, you should be able to find a flat pitch.

Also, The Croft at Hawkshead has a sister site http://www.hawksheadhall-campsite.com/

Sorry for long post, I hope this helps.

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I book campsite or just go and see what happens?

Hello - Please let me say that I do not now camp so cannot comment on where to go but I was in the North part of the lakes two weeks ago when the weather was just perfect. It was the weekend and of course the main UK holiday season has not begun but I noticed a number of camp sites that had SITE FULL signs up!!

I also recall going camping near Keswick in August some years ago at the end of July without booking and it took us some time to find a site that was not full and would take us.

As such my comment would be that if you do not book it may take you some time to find a place that will take you and you may end up on a site that is not the type that you want!!

Devon
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I book campsite or just go and see what happens?

Thank you all! We have booked. I don't want to drive around trying to find place either because I agree, then I might not get a great site either.

Madm00se, your story was hilarious!

7. Re: Should I book campsite or just go and see what happens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 18, 2014