We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to the lakes

5 posts
Save Topic
New to the lakes

Hi everyone, I'm trying to plan a night or two away somewhere in the lakes for my other halts birthday. I'm looking to stay somewhere with a few good pubs, nice restaurants, a few shops, and needless to say scenic! Problem is neither of us drive, so where would be the best place for us? We will be getting the train from Manchester second weekend in July. Any advice especially regarding transport would be greatly appreciated :) xx

Lake District...
Level Contributor
610 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to the lakes

For the scenery avoid Windermere - no fells !

Keswick is easy to reach bus from Penrith train station which is on the mainline.

Trouble is it is the first weekend of "The Convention" a "religious get together " which may reduce the availability of the cheaper accommodation and results in the centre being very busy at times but not all the time.

Otherwise Keswick ticks all the boxes especially if you dont have transport - everywhere is in easy walking distance , or maybe Portinscale about 15mins walk away round the lake.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
745 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to the lakes

First priority is that you need to be on the 555 bus route, as this is the service that runs hourly up through the central lakes. It will take you directly from Windermere station Northward.

You might try Grasmere, it is a small village and whilst very busy during the day quietens down when the day trippers disappear. Plenty of restaurants etc, and some good shortish walks.

Keswick would give you easy access to Borrowdale and Buttermere on the 77 bus service. This however doesn't run very frequently so you would need to look carefully at the timetable, but if you can fit it in, there's probably not a more scenic public bus route than the 77 from Keswick to Buttermere.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to the lakes

I would suggest Ullswater

Train to Penrith

Taxi or bus to the Ullswater area, try Glenridding or Pooley Bridge

Enough there for two nights without the need to get bogged down in busy Keswick during Convention week

This is the closest area to the main rail line and motorway but often overlooked in favour of Windermere.

http://www.ullswater.com/

http://www.ullswater-steamers.co.uk/.

Plenty of good pubs, walking a a range of accomodation from hotels such as the Inn on the Lake to B&Bs

tripadvisor.co.uk/HotelsNear-g186318-d555212…

As a short first trip to the Lakes I don't think you will be disappointed and you will have few transport difficulties as there is enough to see and do to fill two days so you need not venture far.

nationaltrust.org.uk/aira-force-and-ullswate…

Edited: 12:57 am, June 25, 2013
Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to the lakes

Though I prefer Keswick I would say Ambleside, easier to get to and pretty much central. I found the prices from Manc to Penrith never reduced whereas Windermere are reduced. Each to their own.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to the lakes

I second Leuca's recommendation for Ullswater. It's not an ideal place to be if you don't drive, but if you're only going to be there for a couple of nights then you won't run out of things to do within walking distance, and it's easy enough to get the bus there from Penrith.

Pooley Bridge is a slightly larger settlement than Glenridding and has more shops, but Glenridding is a better location if you are up for some serious fell-walking. Both places have access to the Ullswater steamers and would certainly tick your "scenic location" box.

They are, however, definitely villages rather than towns. If you want to be in a larger place with a better choice of shops, restaurants etc, then you really need to look at Keswick, Ambleside, or Windermere. But personally, I'd avoid Windermere.

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New to the lakes

Thanks very much everyone! Now what's the best way to get to Keswick or Ambleside on train from Manchester? They don't have stations do they?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to the lakes

Keswick: train to Penrith then bus onward to Keswick

Ambleside ,

Train to Windermere then bus onward to Ambleside , the 555 is one bus

Or

Train to Kendal then bus again 555

Would be a couple of ways

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to the lakes

As mentioned above we found it cheaper to get the train to Windermere and the bus to Keswick, the fares are not reduced from Manchester to Penrith when we have looked, then again the amount you pay in buses from Windermere to Keswick you might as well pay the full fair.

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New to the lakes

Cheers. Approx how much is the bus from Windermere to Keswick? Or even a taxi?

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New to the lakes

Approximately how much is the bus from Windermere to Keswick?

Get answers to your questions about Lake District