We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Hi

I'm wanting to plan a trip to the lake district sometime between the middle of August till the end of September (work pending)

I'll be taking someone with who's been before but I want to surprise her with a trip to the LD for a couple days.

I'd just like some basic info as to where to stay, I'd like to get a couple hikes in while there and a place that won't break the bank but will still be comfortable.

I'll be coming in from the south west, would flying in to an airport close by be an option or is driving better?

thanks

Cumbria
Level Contributor
42 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Flying is an option, to Newcastle or Manchester, but you'd need to hire a car. It all depends on what you want really - Ambleside, Windermere and Keswick are all popular and busy, and you can walk from all of them. However, the Western Lakes is lovely too - try Loweswater (Kirkstile Inn), Ennerdale (Fox and Hounds), Buttermere (Youth Hostel! or a few different pubs). These places are much more off the tourist track. Keep your eye out for special offers on Travelzoo or Groupon. Or subscribe to the e-mails of Lake District Inns and English Lakes Hotels, you;ll get some inspiration here. Have fun. Rember its called the Lake District for a reason! Be prepared for rain!

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Kirkstile Inn
Kirkstile Inn
230 Reviews
Loweswater, UK
Fox and Hounds
Fox and Hounds
381 Reviews
Wakefield, UK
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Chester
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Hi,

I will kick it off by suggesting Keswick, Grasmere, Windermere and Ambleside.

Let us know if you are after B+B's, hotels and budget.

As for flying or driving I think the nearest airport would be Newcastle then Manchester, either way you are looking at 1-2 hour drive, so with check in time at the airport you most probably could have driven most of the way to the Lakes.

Keith.

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Grasmere
Grasmere
Lake District, UK
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

If your timing is flexible within that period, you'd do well to go in September rather than August. August is school holiday time, which means that prices for accommodation are a lot higher. You'll find your money will go further in September.

As for where you stay, I honestly wouldn't worry too much. Personally, I'd avoid the Bowness & Windermere area, which is over-touristy and is disappointingly flat compared with much of the rest of the Lake District, but there are so many wonderful places away from there that I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go. The main decision is really whether you want to be a in a good-sized town, in which case your choice is between Keswick and Ambleside (or, if you really must, Windermere/Bowness), in a smaller settlement, but one that still has a few amenities, in which case you have a fair few choices, of which Coniston, Grasmere, Glenridding, Chapel Stile, and Buttermere are all good choices (but certainly not an exhaustive list), or in the middle of nowhere, in which case you have still more options.

Once you've narrowed it down to that extent, then I think if you find some accommodation that you like the look of, then go for it, and don't worry too much about whether it's in the best possible place. It will still be lovely.

You could fly to Manchester, Liverpool, or Newcastle, but they're all a good couple of hours' drive away, so I strongly suspect that by the time you've got to your departure airport, faffed around at the airport with check-in, security and the like, and got your luggage back at the other end, you probably won't have got there any quicker than if you were to drive.

Mentioned in this post
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Coniston
Coniston
Lake District, UK
Grasmere
Grasmere
Lake District, UK
Glenridding
Glenridding
Lake District, UK
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

thanks for all the advice.

Keith E, I'll probably settle for a B&B, I don't need anything flash just clean and comfortable.

(no hostels etc, not that hostels aren't clean... I just want it private)

Chester
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Hi,

In Keswick if I want clean, cheap and good breakfast I choose the Lincoln House in Stanger street and they have a car park. B+B £35. With a little research I am sure you will find a good B+B around this price in Keswick but when I look at the other towns the prices look like they start about £40.

Hope this helps.

Keith.

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

ok, I've decided on either Keswick or Ambleside..

and it'll be mid September

will I be able to do good walks in these areas?

something with good views,get a bit of altitude?

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

We will be in Ambleside from 21st Sept for a week, the walks are pretty good from Ambleside, Fairfield Horse shoe one of the better ones but you could catch the bus over to Langdale. It all depends on what type of exertion you want to give, nice walk from Dungeon Gyhl over to Grasmere and catch the 555 back or a bus to Grasmere for Helm Crag, Loughrigg fell is a nice one to walk via Rydal and over to Elterwater and the bus back, so many walks…

Keswick has more accessible walks in terms of Public Transport than Ambleside imho. We are in Keswick in a few weeks so just planning our walks now (I say now they have been planned for months).

Mentioned in this post
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
1,472 Reviews
Ambleside, UK
Grasmere
Grasmere
Lake District, UK
Helm Crag
Helm Crag
279 Reviews
Grasmere, UK
Rydal
Rydal
Ambleside, UK
Elterwater
Elterwater
Lake District, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Chester
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Hi,

Keswick - top of Skiddaw 5.5 miles 3053 feet but the best route is from the Ravensworth hotel on the A591 and start the walk over Long side (2405'), carl side ( 2420') skiddaw (3053') that is about 4.5 miles and the 5.5 miles walk down to Keswick.

Walk around the lake to Catbells (1481') or take the boat across the lake to Hawes End or for a full day Catbells, Maiden Moor, High Spy, Dale Head 2473' highest point and Hindscarth 9 mile +. I often take the bus to Rosthwaite then - High Spy, Maiden Moor, CatBells and walk back to Keswick

Keswick to Walla Crag (1234') about 2.5 miles then continue on to Ashness bridge.

Short bus rides from Keswick, Scafell from Seathwaite, Haystacks and High stile from Buttermere Great Gable from the Honister Pass. The Honister rambler bus will take you to these 3 hamlets. I am sure search will bring up some good picture for you.

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Skiddaw
Skiddaw
132 Reviews
Lake District, UK
The Ravensworth
The Ravensworth
453 Reviews
Windermere, UK
Hawes
Hawes
Yorkshire Dales National Park, UK
Rosthwaite
Rosthwaite
Borrowdale, UK
Walla Crag
Walla Crag
123 Reviews
Keswick, UK
Ashness Bridge
Ashness Bridge
145 Reviews
Keswick, UK
Scafell Hotel
Scafell Hotel
895 Reviews
Rosthwaite, UK
Seathwaite
Seathwaite
Duddon Valley, UK
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Great Gable
Great Gable
28 Reviews
Lake District, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

You've mentioned something with a bit of altitude but how much experience do you have of fell walking/small mountains? This will help recommend what might be suitable.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer to the lake district.... any advice

Keith, you just described some of our walks!!

Bus to Buttermere – Red Pike – High Stile – High Crag – Hay stacks back to Buttermere

Bus to Ravensworth hotel then Ullock Pike, Longside, Carl side, Skiddaw, Little man and on to Lonscale

and..

Walkers ferry to Hawes end for Cat Bells to High Spy and over to Castle crag and catch the bus back from Grange

Mentioned in this post
Buttermere
Buttermere
534 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
The Ravensworth
The Ravensworth
453 Reviews
Windermere, UK
Skiddaw
Skiddaw
132 Reviews