We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making travel plan

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Making travel plan

I plan to spend 8 days from end April on a road trip from Cambridge (rent a car here) to York, Edinburgh, Glassgow, Lake District, Bath, Salisbury, Oxford and to return the car in Heathrow to fly back home. We are a couple of 50+ and both of us can drive. I am thinking to visit each place for one day and may be staying 2 days in the Lake District. Has anyone doing more or less the same trip before? I haven't booked hotel rooms or car yet and any comments to my travel plan is appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making travel plan

Wow, Koby - great places, big trip and a lot of driving! But you will be spending several hours in the car most days so it could be hard to fit in the sightseeing with such a heavy schedule.

What I would suggest is just book the hire car but not hotels, that way you can see how it goes and change your itinerary as you go if it is too much travelling. At end of April, you will easily find places to stay as not school holidays here (though watch out for the early May Bank Holiday weekend on 4-6 May). So book your first night, but after that just ring ahead on the day or turn up.

Go on Google maps to check distances and travel time between places to help you plan your time. You really want at least a half day in each place. Personally, though I love Scotland, I would drop Edinburgh and Glasgow to give you a bit more time at the other places you suggest.

Enjoy your trip!

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making travel plan

I'd say that's a heck of a lot of travelling to do in just 8 days. You will spend more time driving than seeing places. If you like being in your car, then go for it, but if you'd rather see some of those places, then I'd recommend leaving one or two of them out.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making travel plan

Thank you for your comment. I believe you are right, it might not be workable to cover too many places within 8-9 days, and there isn't enough time to do the sightseeing. I probably wil take your advise to forget about Scotland this trip and concentrate in rest of places. Many thanks for your advice.

4. Re: Making travel plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 16, 2014