We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Base

Malta
Level Contributor
77 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best Base

I will be staying for 2 / 3 days in the Lake District on my way to Edinburgh (from Chester).

Last year we stayed at Bowness-on-Windermere but I would like something less touristy and more close to nature.

Where do you suggest as base?

I was thinking maybe Keswick or Grasmere?

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Base

Both of those, like Ambleside, are touristy. No getting away from it I'm afraid.

We always stay in Cockermouth. Handy for Buttermere and Loweswater and their fells, great pubs and friendly locals.

Mike

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Base

Mike's suggestion is a good one. You could also look at the area outside Coniston and if you want a sure-fire quieter location look at Ennerdale.

Malta
Level Contributor
77 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Base

Thanks for the suggestions...

From what I can see Cockermouth is less touristy true but also not as stunning as Keswick (which is also strategically better placed maybe).

Ennerdale seems to be a very valid alternative.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Base

Bear in mind that Cockermouth isn't actually in the Lake District, but it's pretty damn close and as long as you have a car you'll find the scenic bits of the Lake District very accessible.

A couple of other suggestions would be Chapel Stile or Buttermere. You could also consider Ullswater, which is a beautiful location, and not as tourist as Bowness. However, Glenridding can still get pretty busy during the summer months.

And yes, if you really want to get away from it all, Ennerdale is a great suggestion.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Base

Hi,

I would stick with Grasmere and Keswick if you will be there midweek.

Check The Lincoln house BB or the Skiddaw hotel in Keswick.

The Grasmere Hotel in Grasmere.

Patterdale and Glenridding are also good location and close to the motorway for your onward journey.

Inn on the Lake, Glenridding or the White lion Patterdale.

Keith.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Base

I thought you wanted less touristy Erik ?

What invariably happens on here is this - a poster says they want somewhere less touristy in the Lakes, so we advise them to go to Cockermouth (because whilst it may not be "stunning" it really is the most authentic town, with the best pubs and the friendliest locals) - and they always end up in Keswick !

Ah well...

If you want "stunning" and don't need the facilities of a town, then the suggestions of Ennerdale and Buttermere are excellent ones.

Mike

7. Re: Best Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 03, 2014