We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A really good walkers hotel

england
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A really good walkers hotel

Hello- I am wanting to find a really nice hotel for my husbands 40th, which has good rooms, lovely views, good food, open fires, alcohol and the most important thing- somewhere we can go walking straight from the front door. The more isolated the better really!

We have previously visited The Langstrath Hotel http://thelangstrath.com/ but not stayed. We have also been recommended The Howtown Hotel http://www.howtown-hotel.com/ which sounds kookie and fantastic.

Has anyone else got any recommendations please.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: A really good walkers hotel

Haystacks was his favourite and is an excellent half day walk. For a full day - and assuming you are strong walkers and are blessed with good weather - the High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike circuit is a classic. For a pipe opener, or in poor weather, the 2 hour lake walk is great. One more - Fleetwith Pike at the end of the lake, return via Warnscale bottom.

I've done all these over the years. You should have no issues if care is taken. And the hotel is a cracker. Wet weather alternatives - Honister slate mine and Jennings Brewery in Cockermouth.

Let us know how you get on.

Mike

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A really good walkers hotel

Haystacks is from Buttermere, though personally I think its a really really dreary walk and never understood the fuss, as its an utterly boring climb and not great views.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: A really good walkers hotel

I would agree re: Red Pike/High Stile. Well worth taking in the beauty of Crummockwater too if you're out that way. Haystacks is ok, good views all round from there - the Buttermere/Crummockwater double makes an excellent photo shot from the top.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: A really good walkers hotel

View Lodore Falls Hotel.

Located in Borrowdale Valley,waterfall at the side of hotel.It has leisure facilities inc indoor/outdoor swimming pools,tennis,squash,gym and hot tub.

The Keswick Circular Walk is on your doorstep.Reviews/photo"s of this walk on my post if you wish to view.

Water Edge inn on the lake at Ambleside.

www.wateredgeinn.co.uk

Grasmere Red Lion Hotel.

www.grasmereredlionhotel.co.uk

Its situated for exploring the best of the lake District and Wordsworth country.It has a indoor heated pool.

15. Re: A really good walkers hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lake District