We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Cats Bells?

Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Cats Bells?

My husband and I will be in The Lake District for 6 nights in mid-March (this is our 4th time visiting there)...I know that I saw somewhere in the forum a way up Cats Bells that is different from the normal starting point and is perhaps a bit easier. I have searched for the post but can't find it and was hoping that someone might now what way I am talking about. I am afraid that the usual way up might be too much for some one with "questionable knees"...thanks for any help.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Cats Bells?

If you have questionable knees you may well find its the downhill that causes most discomfort, so whatever route you find do bear this in mind.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Cats Bells?

That is a very relevant point and one which I have mentioned previously. With many of these walks people forget that the route down can be more awkward than the route up.

Whilst many class Cat Bells as an easy walk I personally do not. For a regular walker used to some fell walking its fine. But for first timers I advise more caution. The humps are steep and on a busy day it's like London in the rush hour. It's very common to see people stopping to catch their breath when it dawns on them that the walk isn't as easy as they first thought. They're the ones who are usually in totally inappropriate footwear too.

The views are to die for - (both valley and mountain) but best to perhaps do a smaller fell first.

If you take the alternative route from Hause Gate just near the point where you can head towards Maiden Moor that is steep too.

But it can be done - it's the most popular fell in the area and probably the whole of the Lake District.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
632 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Cats Bells?

The easier route is from Little Town.

From the North walk down the road to the right (west) of Catbells, at the end of the road the wide path continues past Skelgill farm , after about 1 km where the path starts to drop there is a green path ( an old miners track) off to the left rising gently up the side of Catbells and climbing to the hause ( pass) between Catbells and Maiden Moor. The path is rough in places and requires "hands on rock" for confidence in a couple of places but far easier than the frontal assault of Catbells.

I nearly always come down this way and very rarely see anyone on it

If you miss the path you can still get up to the hause along Yewthwaite Gill.

The path up/down the East side from Hause Gate is a steepish zig-zag straight forward modern path which can be hard on the knees going down and a bit boring !

Be aware that the wind can funnel vcery locally over the hause and be quite a shock, but once you start to descend it eases considerably

Edited: 3:44 pm, February 02, 2013
Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Cats Bells?

I have written a review with photo"s of the Catbells walk.

You will find this review by searching my posts.

Enjoy your trip.

5. Re: Walking Cats Bells?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2014