We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aira Force

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Aira Force

I'll be walking from Pooley Bridge to Patterdale via Aira Force in about 2 weeks. Is there a kiosk or tearoom at Aira Force? If I can replenish my snacks and drinks or at least "hydrate" I can leave the extra supplies behind. Thanks for any information.

Mentioned in this post
Aira Force
Aira Force
1,638 Reviews
Penrith, UK
Pooley Bridge
Pooley Bridge
Penrith, UK
Patterdale
Patterdale
Lake District, UK
Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aira Force

Yes there is a tea room next to the National Trust car park. The web site confirms it is open from dawn to dusk.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aira Force

As soon as I posted I had the awful feeling that "Google is your friend." :-(

Thanks for the information--and for not pointing that out! I'll now head for the website. . .

Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aira Force

Enjoy your walk!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aira Force

Is there any chance of spotting a red squirrel around Ullswater? That would make my day! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Ullswater
Ullswater
Lake District, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aira Force

You might see one there are some in the area

northernredsquirrels.org.uk/members.htm

If you are near Formby which is on the Coast North of Liverpool and just a few miles South of Southport then you have a better chance of seeing a Rd Squirrel in the Sanctuary there.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/formby/

Mentioned in this post
The Coast
The Coast
311 Reviews
Tarporley, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Southport
Southport
Merseyside, UK
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aira Force

I've seen a red squirrel at Dacre, which is fairly close to Ullswater, so I would have thought you'd be in with some sort of chance.

If you're particularly keen to see them, then the woods around Buttermere and Thirlmere are both good places to head for.

Mentioned in this post
Buttermere
Buttermere
521 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Ullswater
Ullswater
Lake District, UK
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aira Force

Frankly, I wasn't expecting the chance of a snowball in Hades, but I'll keep my eyes peeled! Unfortunately my itinerary is fixed and my time limited, but one can live in hope. Not that I'm a huge squirrel fancier--we have plenty of the gray variety where I live--but I know they're now quite rare and it would be something of a treat to see them.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,841 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aira Force

I've seen them around the Buttermere area too. Sadly the last one I saw motionless at the side of the road just past the NT car park had probably been run over :(.

Mentioned in this post
Buttermere
Buttermere
521 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aira Force

Best chance would be either the Isle of Arran, or the Isle of Wight, both islands free of the grey, and a haven for the red.

Next trip..

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Arran
Isle of Arran
Scotland, UK
Isle of Wight
Isle of Wight
England, UK
10. Re: Aira Force

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 06, 2013