We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

BC
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

I cannot believe I am being so incompetent and indecisive at figuring this out....please could you help. I would like to spend two days one night getting from Manchester to Glasgow instead of the 4+hour belt up the M6. It has been 30 years since I had time in the Lakes and almost 50 since I spent any time walking and climbing there. I prefer open moorland and crags to polite grass and twee cottages but having been raised in the Peak District find it all very attractive. The opportunity to be back in the UK for a wedding is what leads me here.

I can figure out the b and b part, It is the scenic drive and which one of all the magnificent walks I have trouble with. If any one has time to weigh in I would surely appreciate it. Thanks

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

If you can handle an 800 metre ascent over a distance of about 2 miles, I'd suggest The Old Man of Coniston.

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes11.htm

BC
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

Thank you. It looks like a wonderful walk and within my abilities.It is a difficult decision with a time crunch to spend more time in the car or more time on the fells .Does anyone have a strong opinion on the "best scenic drive" through the Lakes south to North?

I realize I am asking a ridiculous question. it is much easier here in the Canadian Rockies when we realistically have only one road.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

If you do the Old Man, then may I suggest you drive up the Walna Scar road & park up there (be early, as parking can be a bit tricky) and walk up via Goats water, between the base of Dow Crag & the base of the back of the Old Man. The walk takes you along the side of Goats Water, up to the saddle, then hang a right to the summit of the Old Man, you could then extend it by coming back down via the Prison band.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

Come off the M6 at J36, A590 to Newby Bridge, then to Torver and Coniston. Do exactly what madm00se suggests. Overnight Ambleside, maybe. Then drive over the Kirkstone Pass. If you've got time (and energy), park in Patterdale and walk over Place Fell and back along the shore of Ullswater. Then out to the M6 at Penrith.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

You need to have more than one plan, depending on the weather. I think it's always nice to walk up a fell to appreciate the scenery, but if the weather is hideous on the day you're there, a driving tour will be a good back up plan.

BC
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

Thanks everybody for all your help.It has been hard to connect all the dots from the bits I remember but perhaps this is the plan I had at the back of my mind but could not articulate. I certainly agree with a backup plan nautilus. I have spent more than one day peering through the mist hoping for a glimpse of a peak and my days of navigating with map and compass without visual clues are over.

Thanks Madmoose for being so precise. Once I am in the UK and have my maps I will follow it exactly. I am quite excited to be back in an area after so long,many more crowds I am sure but the mountains are much the same!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

Review/photo"s of Old Man Coniston is on my TA profile if you wish to view.

Enjoy your trip.

BC
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

Thanks Phil from Cheshire. It looks like you like the Lakes too.

9. Re: Two days one night in the lake district....I am incompetent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 18, 2013