We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake district in January

Tynemouth, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Lake district in January

My husband and I are both 41 and would love to come to the lakes for a few night at the end of January.

We love beautiful scenery and walking, althought not too far due to my ill health.

Can anyone reccommed either a hotel or cottage thet would be within walking distance of places to eat.

Many thanks for any replies.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake district in January

Ambleside or Keswick would probably suit. Both should be reasonably quiet at that time of year.

The joy of both of these is that there are plenty of pubs, restaurants and cafes but you can venture out a little if you wish. They are also offer a good base for seeing the rest of the lakes, grasmere is lovely and doesn't have to be a big walk.

check out www.amblesideonline.co.uk for some accommodation.

Jackie

Newcastle
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake district in January

Definately try the Travellers Rest Inn at Grasmere. We've been going there for years as its in a superb location and has great food. They also do really good deals over the winter months. I'm not sure if its open to everyone, but regulars get a half price midweek offer right through winter.

Theres loads of great walks and fantastic scenery all around, so it'd be a great spot for you. I may sound biased, but we really do love it there.

Anywhere in Grasmere would be a great location for you though.