We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Windermere or Coniston Water for a day out?

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Topic
Lake Windermere or Coniston Water for a day out?

My husband and I will be staying in Bowness and have a Monday to spend before leaving first thing Tuesday morning (in early September). I'd love to have input on where to spend our one full day in the Lake District. We will not have a car.

We're torn between Lake Windermere and Coniston Water. He loves steam engines (so sad that the steamboat museum closed before our visit). We both love the Swallows and Amazons books, history and wouldn't mind at all ending the day at a nice pub.

Any thoughts or anecdotes to share?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,888 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Windermere or Coniston Water for a day out?

If you like Lakes, Boats, Steam and History, then this has GOT to be the thing for you to do:

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-fi…

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Windermere or Coniston Water for a day out?

That looks like just the ticket.

Have you (or anyone here?)tried it?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Windermere or Coniston Water for a day out?

Hi,,yes have been on the Gondola. It was a weekday, out of season, and there were 4 passengers on it! Us, and another couple, and it was freezing, so cold the crew made us hot tea!

It was a beautiful trip though - the boat is great and the views are stunning. We got off at one of the stops and then walked back (for miles!) along a good track.

Whatever the weather at the time of your visit, do take warm coats/jackets if you go on the trip as the wind can feel very cold, even on a mild day.

The weekend stop at Monk Coniston sounds an excellent idea, as Tarn Hows is a lovely walk too.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Windermere or Coniston Water for a day out?

Thanks for the suggestions and advice - it has all been noted. It looks like Coniston Water has the edge over Windermere for the day. The Steam Gondola looks lovely.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
636 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Windermere or Coniston Water for a day out?

Hi webspinner,

Personally I'd choose Coniston, but only because I've spent so much time there, yes it's quiet out of season (which is lovely) and it's small, not a HUGE amount to do, a few shops, no many though! I've done a few times the gondola trip on Consiton & think it's lovely, I've done the full tour, aswell as one way & walked back from the bottom end of the lake. Within walking distance (nice walk about 4 hrs fast going) there's Tarn Hows, with a nice flat walk (no more than about 2-2.5 miles right round the Tarn) or you can drive up there and walk-out of Coniston to go towards Hawkshead, then left at the top of the hill. If you're into walking reasonably seriously then walk up The Old Man, you can park further up through the Village instead of walking from the village itself. Nice cafe where you catch the Gondola from, but a little pricey-bluebird cafe I think it's called. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,888 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Windermere or Coniston Water for a day out?

Yes, I went on the Gondola not long after they had restored/created it. Very nice indeed, and I'm glad to see that it is still going strong.

7. Re: Lake Windermere or Coniston Water for a day out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lake District