We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake District and Scotland

Germantown, TN
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Lake District and Scotland

In the next 2 years, my wife and I would like visit England. We would fly in and out of London, spend a few days there, then visit the Lake District and on into Scotland.

Would it be best to get a tour group from London and let them take care of everything or can a person do this on their own? We would not rent a car, but try to use the train or bus. We are in our late 60's.

Thanks for any help.

Mauser

Mountain Goat Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Lake District Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,507 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake District and Scotland

You will probably get differing opinions and it depends on your own preferences and whether you can find a tour that really suits you. However, I can say that getting from London to the Lake District by train is easy, and bus transportation around that area is also pretty good. The area is PACKED with small hotels and B&B's so arranging accomodation is not a problem. There are also companies (well, I know of at least one) that do day van tours in the Lakes so you can see a lot without driving. And of course there are walks for everyone.

I'm not as familiar with travel around Scotland although there are reasonably good rail links and getting to Edinburgh or Glasgow is also simple. You might look into a short organized tour out of one of those two cities if you find that public transport won't do it.

If you find your way to the various British train operators (start at nationalrail.co.uk) some of them will provide links to local bus schedules, which can be very helpful.

2. Re: Lake District and Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:31 am, September 25, 2009