We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub near to Cat Bells??

UK
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pub near to Cat Bells??

Hi

We're spending a weekend in Bassenthwaite and i've promised our 2 lads a walk up Cat Bells.

Is there any pub nearby that we could stop at for some lunch (and a couple of pints)after the walk, i know there are plenty in Keswick itself but wondered if there was any on the walk.

Thanks for any help

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub near to Cat Bells??

Hi

The nearest to Catbells I think'll be Portinscale. I have never been into any of the pubs there, but have cycled & walked past them & they all look nice. If you want somewhere nearer Keswick, but not actually in Keswick, if you drop onto the A66 & head West (I think!) back towards Keswick then hang a right at the roundabout on the A5271, on the right you'll see a pub called the Pheasant, parking's restricted (on the road side). If you've gone past the garage/petrol station, you've gone too far! Good beer, food, friendly & child friendly too.

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub near to Cat Bells??

Try the Swinside Inn - just a short walk from the north end of Cat Bells

wisbech,cambridgeshi...
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub near to Cat Bells??

Hi as you are travelling from Bassenthwaite you pass Braithwaite here there are 3 lovely places to eat.The Royal oak and Coledale Inn traditional pub grub and nice atmosphere or if you wanted something a notch up Middle Ruddings Hotel fantastic food all made with local ingredients!!

UK
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub near to Cat Bells??

Hi all,

thanks very much for your advice, i think we'll definitely try Swinside Inn as we can pop in there as part of our walk and have a couple of pints.

Then maybe try a pub in Braithwaite for food on our way back to Bassenthwaite.

thanks again

5. Re: Pub near to Cat Bells??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 24, 2009