We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a first time visitor

Kent
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Advice for a first time visitor

I'm hoping to go to the Lake District for a few days towards the end of March but have absolutely no idea whereabouts to stay - there are just too many lovely towns and villages to pick from and I want to make the right choice! What I'm after are beautiful views and plenty of varied walking opportunities (nothing too taxing, mind). What are the must-sees and must-dos for someone who might only ever get one opportunity to visit the Lakes?

england
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

Hi starrlite!

You will get a hundred different answers from a hundred different people! The Lake District is full of gems, and everyone has their own preferences. Must-see for one is tedium for another ;) Beautiful views are everywhere in the Lakes, so no problem there.

Although you are coming around Easter, it won't be as busy as the height of summer, so getting crowded out is unlikely to be a problem. And all the indoor-type attractions will be open, so the world is your oyster, as it were.

Maybe choose based on the accommodation you like the look of, or your travel preferences. Have a good browse of this forum based on your own interests, and feel free to post more specific questions :)

Best wishes, enjoy your trip! You'll love it wherever you go.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

Well,i would have to say Keswick.Its a beautiful town,plenty of pubs/restarants,shops,outdoor market on saturday and great accomodation places from B+B"s to hotels.

There are some beautiful walks around Keswick,10 mins walk outside town.You need to head for Hope park,then to Keswick theatre.Once passed the theatre follow the path towards the lake,(Derwent water).The path leads to many walks but i"d suggest heading for Friars Crag with its beautiful views of the lake,mountains ect.

You can also have boat trip on the lake and Hope park has a crazy golf course surrounded by lovely gardens.Also have a look and see whats on at the theatre.There is also a small cinema in Keswick,5 mins walk outside the town.

Keswick is also "home of the Cumberland pencils"factory on the West side of the town,a nice place to visit.

Keswick"s tourist information centre-The Moot Hall,Keswick.CA12-5JR tel no-:017687 72645 or

www.lake-district.gov.uk

Keswick is a good place to stay and visit.If you have a car i"d suggest visiting these other places in the Lake District,like Coniston,Windermere,Buttermere and Ambleside.All these places have great views of Lake District"s countryside and you will find many walks in these areas with great pubs to finish off the days walk.

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

Hi,

I’d agree that Keswick is a good base for your trip but the Lake District isn’t all that big so if you have a car you can go pretty much anywhere within a couple of hours driving (round trip). It will be pretty busy as you plan to go in the Easter holidays. Windermere and Ambleside are nice but for me too touristy and busy but worth a visit and they have plenty of amenities. Hotel depends on budget-if you want a room with a view I love the Underskaw manor it’s set up in the hills over looking Keswick with breathtaking views of Derwent water and Keswick town.

Do’s will totally depend on your own tastes-I love Ulswater and you can take a trip on one of the steam boats out on the lake. A very nice but un-taxing walk is Ennerdale lake it’s pretty secluded and untouched by tourism but you can walk right around the lake in 2.5 to three hours. Also Wasdale as voted Britain’s best view is good for walking and scenery. I also like taking a drive up Hard Knot pass and Wrynose some of the steepest roads you’ll ever see but very scenic with beautiful views. I like the area down at Eskdale there is the ratty miniature railway and Muncaster castle. The road through Eskdale leads up to Hard knot pass.

I’m sure you’ll have a great time wherever you chose to stay-Keswick is a bit more accessible from Penrith if you’re driving too.

Any more questions please ask

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

Another vote for Keswick!

Last time I was in the Lakes I stayed just outside Keswick in a tiny village called High Lorton at a lovely farmhouse with amazing views (Swinside End Farm).

My must see / must do is a trip to Buttermere (short drive from Keswick) then climbing Haystacks which you can ascend from the far corner of the lake. The views are breathtaking and the climb is not too taxing for a beginner.

Have a lovely time wherever you go.

Millom, United...
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

Ahh you see, my Brother and Sister in Law live in Western lakes( M6 J36 Turn left!) and I love the bottom of Windermere and the Lakeside Hotel ( if you are loaded!!!!) but further on there is Dalton and Barrow but Broughton on Furness is quite simply fantastic!

You have all the Fells and Coniston. This area of the lakes is no less stunning just a tad less commercial

CUMBRIA, ENGLAND
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

Deffo do a boat / steamer trip on either Windermere, Ullswater or Coniston water. La'al ratty railway at Ravenglass, Hard Knott pass as sugested before, Grizdale Forest with lots of walks to do, the list is endless.

As to where to stay depends on your budget, I would stay somewhere like

Ambleside (Low Wood hotel over looking lake Windermere nice but expensive),

Bowness (very handy for trip on steamer up lake Windermere & to Beatrix Potter exhibition)

Newby bridge / Lakeside has a few hotels to choose from (at bottom of lake Windermere),

Hawkshead, Coniston, Grasmere, Keswick

to name but a few but where every you stay it will be beautifull BUT I would book quite quick as the tourist season kicks off at Easter & if the weather is nice then everywhere in the central lakes will be busy. Beleive me I know I have worked in a few of the hotels there.

wigan. england
Level Contributor
43 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

depends what you want most of the serious walkers use keswick and surrounding areas as a base, some of the walks around there are really spectacular but can be hard work.

bowness and windermere are a bit more touristy but they have a better range of pubs and restaurants and more shops. there are also some really nice walks around the area that give fantastic views when the weather is good without being to strenuous but to be honest where ever you go it is fantastic. [ would be worth buying a book that gives you details of local walks]

Kent
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

Thanks all for your advice, I certainly have a lot to look into!

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

as said the whole area is outstanding but if you have the time head for wasdale head [previously mentioned]theres an old pub there and you can get a great cumberland sausage.it's situated near waste water,one of the quiter,less visited lakes but one of my favourites,the drive and scenery is amazing.talking of which,i also love the drive over hard knot pass but it can be a challenge for some!

10. Re: Advice for a first time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 22, 2009