We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Edinburgh

Rochester, Ny
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Edinburgh

I will be in Edinburgh sometime in the mid January to mid February period. I would like to arrange a tour to the Lake District where my grandfather was born (Appleby and Keswick in particular). A one or two night overnight is fine.

Is there transportation or tours that can be arranged? I'd prefer not to rent a car.

Thanks for any advice.

Mountain Goat Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Lake District Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

Virgin trains run Edinburgh-Oxenholm, journey time 2 hours for a direct train, longer if you go via Glasgow. Book train tickets well in advance to get the best deals. Oxenhome has connections to Windermere. That at least gets you in the general area.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

You might be better considering a coach tour of the Lake District. Appleby is not in the Lake District, and is a fair distance if travelling by public transport.

Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

We took the train from Edinburgh to Penrith, then a short bus ride to Keswick. Keswick is delightful and quite "walkable," but to visit outlying areas or small villages you would need a car which I would not recommend for the timid driver. :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

You certainly don't want to get the train from Edinburgh to Oxenholme to reach either Appleby or Keswick. You need to get off the southbound Edinburgh train at Penrith. With such a short time available to visit both with any meaning is a challenge unless you have a car, as they are in opposite directions from Penrith. Of the two, Keswick is agruably the more appealing because of it's location in the heart of the Lake District. There's no shortage of places to stay in Keswick. The small town is 15 miles from Penrith and there is a regular bus service from Penrith., which takes about 30 minutes.There is no train to Keswick. It's not the tourist season, so accommodation will be straightforward to come by.

5. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 09, 2009