We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

5 posts
Save Topic
Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

Hello!

I will be artiving in Windermere on 12th July and staying at YHA ambleside from 12th-14th July 2018!

My train to Manchester departs from Windermere station at 6.43am on 14th.

As I have checked online, there is no bus service available from ambleside to Windermere at that time since it is quite early in the morning.

Will it be possible for me to find a cab at that hour? Or is there a possibility of booking a cab in advance? And how much will it cost?

Also, I have booked the mountain goat tour "ten lakes spectacular tour" which is almost a full day tour departing at 9.30am and reaching back at 5.30pm on 13th July.

Any recommendations of what can be done/seen in the evenings as I have 12th and 13th evening completely free!

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
YHA Ambleside
YHA Ambleside
485 Reviews
Ambleside, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
9 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
11,593 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

You need to re think this plan. There are ZERO trains from Windermere at the moment. There are replacement buses but these are slower, so if you have to catch a train connection at Oxenholme, I wouldn't trust the replacement bus to connect.

If you have a flight to catch it off Manchester, what time is it?

Mentioned in this post
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

There is a small possibility that the trains may be back on by this date as the latest information suggests Chris Grayling isn't happy for the replacement bus service to continue beyond June. (Initially the thoughts were that it would carry on for July as well).

It's a fluid situation so I would keep checking for the latest news.

London
Level Contributor
11,593 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

Chris Grayling is just playing to the gallery. Northern don't have enough diesel trains and don't have enough (suitably trained) drivers. This isn't going to be sorted quickly. I really would get a plan B organised.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

If the trains are still not running, there will be a replacement bus service from Windermere to Oxenholme.

Whatever happens, you will need to book a taxi from Ambleside to Windermere.

Mentioned in this post
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Coniston, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

For a taxi Ambleside to Windermere I would suggest you get a couple of quotes when you arrive at Windermere, there are usually several outside the station. You could also similarly ask those in the centre of Ambleside but if taking one definitely book in advance. Sorry I can’t suggest a cost for that time of day.

Mentioned in this post
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

Thank you everyone for your responses!!

I have a stadium tour at Old Trafford scheduled for 10am. post which I have a train to London at around 1pm.

If the train connection between Windermere and oxenholme is not fixed by mid July, it would be possible to take a cab to oxenholme right? Any idea how expensive that would be?

Edited: 11:20 am, June 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Coniston, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

Yes it is possible to get a taxi to Oxenholme. If you are going to take a taxi, it might be easier to take it from Ambleside all the way to Oxenholme. I would suggest you place a note in the YHA in case anyone wants the same journey and would share costs. What train time do you anticipate getting / need from Oxenholme? What time do you want to be at Oxenholme? If you wish, PM me and, I’ll try, not this evening, nor tomorrow (Sunday) because it’s busy times for taxi folk, to get you a quote from my local taxi man for a journey from Ambleside to

Oxenholme.

Mentioned in this post
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

Good idea to book a taxi through to Oxenholme. If your taxi leaves Ambleside at 06.30 you will easily be at Oxenholme in good time for the 07.24 train, change at Preston, and getting to Piccadilly at 9 am. That gives you plenty of time to get to OT for your tour.

Mentioned in this post
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Preston
Preston
Lancashire, UK
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel

Thank you everyone for your all your help!

:) Really appreciate it!

Reply to: Ambleside to Windermere early morning travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted