We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

Which Royal Tunbridge Wells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north of Boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

We will be travelling from London to Tunbridge Wells (or Tunbridge, not sure which is best...) via train in late September. I would like to rent a car at or near the train station for use touring Kent for the next few days (I thought it would be easier to get out of London by train and rent a car on the outskirts, rather than take my life in my hands, rent in London and try to make my way to the countryside.) I am having trouble getting car rental info though. Are there rental facilities anywhere near either of the stations I mentioned? Is it possible to do this? Suggestions please :-)

UK
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

I suggest you look in the Yellow Pages Directory:

yell.com/yellow-pages-uk/yellow-pages-phone-…

I did a quick search under "Car hire - self drive" for Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge (note spelling) and found there were a number of companies listed.

north of Boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

Many thanks. I'd googled, but hadn't put in the all important "self drive." Seems self evident, now that you mention it...Will look in the yellow pages.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

Depends on where you are heading to after obtaining the car as to whether you should get it at Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells, you may have to change trains at Tonbridge to get to Tunbridge Wells either way there are no car hire places right outside of these stations ! Perhaps look for the firm 'Enterprise' as they pick you up !!

north of Boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

Thanks for the great tip re: Enterprise!

Panama
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

You can rent a car from Europcar in Tonbridge. I rented from them over a weekend with a special rate and they even came to collect me from Tunbridge Wells and drop me back afterwards.

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

You could also consider taking a train from London Bridge or Victoria to Gatwick Airport and pick up a car from any of the major hire companies with offices there.

The drive to Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells is straightforward (M23/A264), takes less than an hour, and is quite attractive from East Grinstead onwards. There are several places you could visit on the way if you take a detour: Standen, Wakehurst, Bluebell Railway, Sheffield Park, Ashdown Forest, Hever Castle, Groombridge Place, Penshurst, ,,,, , or some top class restaurants and pubs where you can get a meal.

north of Boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

Many thanks for taking the time to post - great suggestions!

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

I don't agree, it can take over 40 mins just to get from Gatwick to East Grinstead, Felbridge & East Grinstead is notorious for traffic jams , EG to TW can take at least 20 mins with light traffic, besides that you would be going an awful way out to get to Tonbridge ! Stick to your plan get a train from London to Kent.

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

You could well be right; it depends if the OP's first overnight stop is Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells. In which case why not take a taxi from the station and have the car delivered to the hotel the next morning?

I'll grant you the A22 from Felbridge to East Grinstead is slow at peak times, but it's hardly gridlock and some of the roads around Tonbridge / Southborough / Tunbridge Wells are no way better. The proposed route - with suggested detours that would miss the A22 - was only to illustrate the proximity of Gatwick to Kent.

If the OP just wants somewhere convenient to pick up a car for touring Kent, Gatwick has some advantages. The car hire desks are open from 0600 to 2400 (2200 at weekends), so there are no issues if their train is delayed for a rendez-vous with the hire rep. I also note from another post that the OP is enquiring about car hire in Canterbury, returning to Heathrow, so I don't think we have the full picture to make a judgement.

north of Boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental in Tunbridge Wells? or Tunbridge?

Yes, you are correct. Have been trying to determine the best way for us to get out of London and into Kent. Was either going to begin in Tonbridge Wells, then head east, then return to Heathrow for return to US, or begin in CAnterbury and then work our way back west to Heathrow. Have finally decided on the latter option. Will begin in Canterbury, rent a car there, and tour our way west.

Again, many thanks to everyone who responded. Your insights have been of great value to me. btw, what is an "OP?"