We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

Larion
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

Hi everyone!

I am an anaemic and also pregnant. I am tired of taken all those iron supplements and to be honest my stomach cannot cope with it any more.

I live in Tunbridge Wells near Pentiles. I was thinking of trying this water but to be honest it will be expencive remedy as it cost 40p for a tiny glass.

Does anyone know where I can take it free of charge? Someone mentioned a while ago that there is such a place but I cannot find it.

Please help me!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

Or you could try a sprig of lucky heather? Are you medically trained to know that the water is a good substitute? Seems unlikely to me. Wy not go and see your doctor instead of self-medicating and probably making things worse?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

T Wells Water is, indeed Iron Rich, so Larion has a point thinking that it might help her. However, I can't find any info apart from access at the Chalybeate Spring within the Pantiles. The 40p is a service charge for 'The Dipper' not for the water though, so MAYbe you can persuade him/her to fill a larger vessel for you??

www.visittunbridgewells.com/pages/View.asp…

This outfit sells large bottles for office water coolers etc, they are in the Pantiles, so perhaps you could contact them, explain your predicament, and see if they will help:

www.royaltunbridgewellsspringwater.com/

Buxton has a fountain where you can get free spa water, are you sure you are not mixing this one up with T Wells, Larion??

Uncyclopedia suggests there is a free spring on the Common, but whether you believe this one, or not, is really up to you!!

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Tunbridge_Wells

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

"T Wells Water is, indeed Iron Rich"

Possibly, but drinking it to replace a carefully calculated medical dose is like chewing the bark of a tree to replace quinine tablets.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

Larion.

As someone who has been anaemic while pregnant, and who continues to have ongoing anaemia, a bit of advice: Take the iron tablets. Get ones with added vitamin C as those are easier on the stomach.

Go speak to your pharmacist about taking some form of supplement that WILL suit you.

If this mineral water was so iron-rich, then they would be selling it as a bona fide tonic. The fact that they are not, should tell you something.

Anaemia is a pretty serious condition and can create potential cardiac problems (I've ended up in the Cardiologist's on occasion and it isn't fun).

I'm sure you're tired of the anaemia and the tiredness associated with your pregnancy, but it does have an end date. For the sake of yourself and your baby, keep on the iron.

Larion
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

Thanks you all for super fast response!

I understand the seriousness of my situation and of cause do not want to drink just water with hope that it will help me. Not at all. You want believe me, but I am taking Ferrous Sulphate 200mg every day + pregnancy formula with iron 10mg (daily) + stinging nettle + Floradix and my iron is still low. We tried different combinations with my doctor but it does not make difference. Of cause I drink a lot of orange juice and stopped taking coffee and tea. I want to have a home birth but widwives advise me not to unless I increase my iron level.

I am going to the spring today and if Dipper is there I will ask them whether I can fill a large bottle.

I will let you know.

Thanks!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

But it tastes terrible !

Larion
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

An analysis in 1967 showed it to contain (parts per million):

Iron(II) carbonate, FeCO3 25.3

Manganese(II) carbonate, MnCO3 4.6

Calcium sulfate, CaSO4 60.9

Magnesium sulfate, MgSO4 13.4

Magnesium chloride, MgCl2 7.8*

Sodium chloride, NaCl 57.2

Potassium chloride, KCl 7.3

Yes I know how it tastes but I think this is my last chance.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

Larion - I'm not a medic, but you seem to have absorption issues. Talk to your doc about coeliac disease. Even if you are pooh poohed (as they do) see if eliminating wheat from your diet for a few weeks has an impact.

You are taking more iron than your body can absorb under normal circumstances.

Good Luck - I empathise. I felt like a pin cushion on my last pregnancy.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

I don't know if your doctor has already mentioned this, but drinking milk when taking iron prevents uptake of the iron - something about the calcium ions binding.

I wouldn't resort to Tunbridge Wells water for any genuine medical condition. As has been said previously, if it were actually medically effective it would be marketed, and monitored, as such.

Larion
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring water. Is there a place where I can take it for free?

Just came back.

Water is free for public!!! From 10am to 5pm but from October it will be closed. I was told that even during the winter months some people manage to take it home. Still cannot understand how they do it, they might use kind of tube? I have never seen it closed, so do not have any solutions yet, but if I still need it by then, I will definitely try something.

I have been drinking this water all day today and to be honest it is not as awful as described. But maybe it is just for me, because my body is used to iron ;)

It tastes like water from a rusty backet. Brings back the memories from my childhood when I spent some time in Ukrainian village.

I have my blood test done on Tuesday and if I reach "the pass" level, I'll let you all know.

Thanks again for help!!!