We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramsgate to Boulogne

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Ramsgate to Boulogne

Is it possible to have a day trip Ramsgate-Boulogne as a foot passenger. If so, does the boat still arrive close to the Boulogne town centre as they used to in days gone by. The current Euroferries website is very unhelpful.

12 replies to this topic
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Sadly no. I can't remember if this service ever got off the ground (so to speak) - fairly sure it didn't, but if it ever did, it didn't last long and is certainly not running now. It was only ever planned to allow car passengers, anyway. The website really needs to be taken down! The timetable still refers to a 2011 schedule.

The only service out of Ramsgate is the car ferry to Oostende.

There are currently no services from anywhere to Boulogne.

The only cross-Channel ferry with a foot passenger service is P&O from Dover to Calais.

Edited: 6:39 pm, August 20, 2012
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Many thanks for this info --- very strange that the Euroferries website still exists.

Shame about the absence of a Boulogne service. I understand the authorities there spent a lot of money improving landing facilities for ferries.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

If you want be a foot passenger and go to Boulogne it is possible, but not from Ramsgate. Travel to Dover (do you have a car?) and park your car in the carpark at Dover port, and get on the ferry from Dover to Calais (obviously more to it than that, but saying roughly), and you can get a shuttle bus from the port to the train station, and catch the train from Calais to Boulogne. I have in the past done this said trip on foot and on a day trip before we started taking our own vehicle.

Seemingly PO ferries have an offer on if you use the offer code "mirror" (two people in the last 2 days have shown me the said offer - it is advertised in the Daily Mirror newspaper.

If you want more details about doing above, I will obviously give you more information.

Edited: 5:05 pm, August 21, 2012
kent
Level Contributor
241 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Although the last effort by this company about 2 years ago failed to materialize, this is reported in the local newspaper today:

"A new ferry service is to be launched from Ramsgate.

Euroferries is to run a trimaran on the route from Ramsgate to Boulougne, starting in February next year.

The 102m vessel, leased on a long-term charter from manufacturer Austal, will run four daily crossings, catering for passengers, cars and coaches.

Euroferries is promising one of the fastest channel crossings available - with the ferry able to hit speeds of more than 40 knots."

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

I hope it will be a stable craft. Remember those hydrofoils that used to bounce across the Channel? Great fun in even a slight swell.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Here is a link: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-19997561

A nice quick way of getting across the channel I would imagine.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Yes, it will be quick - just 75 minutes. Here is the Euroferries website:

http://www.euroferries.co.uk/index.htm

It says that bookings will be available shortly and that the cost will be from £49 for a car and up to 5 passengers.

What isn't clear is whether they will accept foot passengers. It might well be so because they are also planning to start a coach service from Ramsgate to London via Canterbury and the Medway towns. This coach service will apparently run to coincide with the new ferry service timetables.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Even better if they accept foot passengers, it would make going to Boulogne by foot, a lot easier :)

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

In the light of the current problems affecting TransEuropa Ferries, I remembered about this proposal from Euroferries. Well, February has come and gone with no further news about this venture...The website still says bookings will be available shortly, as it has read for months now. Not heard anything about this in the local news/press recently.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Probably just hopeful thinking or a proposal than on their behalf.

Reply to: Ramsgate to Boulogne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ramsgate